Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregg Brightwell

Well Known Member
...Participate if you'd like please. The more data points I can get the better. I am totally stuck 'on the fence'. Only a SLIGHT lean towards electric.

Thanks,

Gregg

What I did

I love these kind of debates..or whatever we call them! I built a -4 with "all electric" trim and flaps and couldn't be happier. That being said, Smokey is spot on with the KISS factor, as I make a living in aircraft overhaul, and always dread electrical gremlins...but, I was set on the HOTAS configuration (Hands on throttle and stick) so I used the MAC grips with elevator/aileron trim as well as flap buttons. I have my smoke button on the throttle, and I never have to take a hand off to do any flight functions. As others have said, the failure of the flap motor system in the "down" position would make for a looong ferry flight home,or PITA field repair, but I accept that. I am almost always flying with a backseater and dont have to worry a bit about the foot interference. Love my electric stuff! Of course, I am now working on my 1941 Aeronca Defender, all manual everything,no electrical anything !

Confusing

After reading and re-reading this thread I finally discovered the original poster is referring to an existing poll about manual vs. electric flaps in the RV-4 forum. (The link was provided by Mike S. before I completed this post.)

But I am confused, by asking the RV population to participate in the poll, are you not contaminating the poll by asking non-RV-4 pilots to participate in the poll?

I hate to say this, but this is confusing to me. Maybe a new poll is in order, making it plain that you are either 1) requesting RV-4 ONLY pilots to opine, or 2) requesting all RV pilots to opine.

Last edited:
After reading and re-reading this thread I finally discovered the original poster is referring to an existing poll about manual vs. electric flaps in the RV-4 forum. (The link was provided by Mike S. before I completed this post.)

But I am confused, by asking the RV population to participate in the poll, are you not contaminating the poll by asking non-RV-4 pilots to participate in the poll?

I hate to say this, but this is confusing to me. Maybe a new poll is in order, making it plain that you are either 1) requesting RV-4 ONLY pilots to opine, or 2) requesting all RV pilots to opine.

A good example of why the forum rules prohibit cross-posting - so we'll just close this one, and people can go to the poll in the -4 forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.