PaulR

Well Known Member
I'm in the process of finishing the elevators and mounting to the stabilizer. Last evening while working on the elec. trim, it appears that I need another small hole and bushing in the front spar to accomodate the wires for the elec. trim servo. The jack shaft for the servo doesn't fill the hole that's already there completely but it appears to me to be a potential trouble point.
What has everyone else done?

Thanks, as always for the help.

Paul Rose
Close on emp. Wings arrived.

In a perfect world, the electric trim wire and the servo shaft would not share the same hole. But keep in mind how little that servo actually moves. You'll undoubtedly read about many builders who integrate a "speed governor" into their elevator trim system because they feel that the servo moves too quickly in cruise flight. I don't have one of those systems and I'm not trying to deviate from the topic, but I'm using it to illustrate the point...which is that the servo shaft ain't gonna move much under normal conditions.

FWIW, my wire and shaft share that hole. I inspect it regularly but haven't noticed any issues. Not to say a conflict couldn't happen, but it's pretty unlikely. The wire diameter + the shaft diameter are still smaller than the *radius* of the hole. I don't see much probability of a conflict there.

Thanks Dan

I appreciate the quick response Dan. I'll look at that part on your website, (should have thought of that sooner) tonite. For what it's worth, I'm planning on d-sub pins/sockets and heat shrink to connect a multiple conductor cable to the servo in the servo compartment.

Thanks again for the help.

Paul

To govern, or not?

I know I'm tacking on to an older thread here. . I'm trying to decide if I will install an electric trim, "governor." Those who haven't, do you regret it? Is it too fast?

Those who have used both which do you like better?

Thanks,

- Brett

A one holer, or a two holer?

After mounting the tail feather, I started on the wiring. When I got to the trim in the elevator, I noticed the tight clearance that was shared by the wire and the screw and didn't like it. I drilled a small hole and place a bushing in it for the wires and now I don't worry about it.
That's my hole story and I'm sticking to it.

Brett:
When I first started flying my plane I had the duel speed switch hooked up backward. This cause it to trim fast in curse and slower with the flaps down.
I didn't have a problem with it being slower in the pattern, but the cruse trimming was very touchy that it was hard to get right. I fixed if after a couple of flights and it works great. The standard trim speed works at 12 volts and the slow mode is set at about 7 volts.
If you don't want to go to the trouble of putting in the flap sense switch then you may want to just drop the voltage to the trim motor.

Kent

I assume you are using the MAC trin servo in your application. I have complained to them a number of times about the tiny bit of very small wire they use on their systems. I would like to see longer wires of the next size larger gauge on their products. That being said, I took their servo cover off, installed a locking circular 6 pin connector (Amphenol type) in the side of the servo. By doing this, I eliminated the 6" wire problem you always have to splice to, and I could remove the servo if needed. I would be concerned a little with using a DB-9 or something like that for where the servo mounts. The area can get wet, and the DB09 styles are not very waterproof. Look for a connector you can mount in the side of the connector has, at least, the 5 wires needed, and comes in a sealed or somewhat waterproof configuration. It takes a little work, cutting the proper hole, mounting the connector, and then soldering the wires to the connector, but it is well worth it. You keep the tiny wires inside the unit and there are no splices 4" from the box. I wish MAC would either supply much longer wires, or provide an option for a connector in the side of their servo boxes. Even the wires on their switches and display devices are too short to install without having to splice wires onto them. Just another idea and my opinion-- nothing more. Roger.