NorthernRV4

Well Known Member
Hi gents

I'm at the point of decision on whether to build my LH elevator with an electric trim set up or the manual trim. Not wanting to start a debate on the merits of each but more looking for thoughts on the best route to make the conversion. I don't want/need to purchase the servo now so I'd just buy the sheet metal parts to build it like the newer kits (7/8) are done. Going that route would allow me to easily set it up either way down the road. Plus access to mount the manual trim cable anchor would be easier with the new setup.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone knows if this Vans kit is the one to fit the -4. I suspect it must be but they don't specifically say that on the site. I think it must be because the skin isn't PP for the other parts and I'll simply have to cut and drill it to match the kit parts.

KIT FOR EMPS 6/7/8
EE-KIT PP

$20.00

Kit

I purchased the RV-4 "electric elevator trim" kit but ended up going with the stock manual set-up and cable. As I recall, the kit contains some pieces of flat aluminum, a few rivets, nut-plates, etc., and a drawing. I can scan the drawing and email it to you if that would help. You probably already have enough aluminum scraps to fabricate per the drawing.

yeah, there's not much to converting it. I'll call Van's and confirm this kit works but I'm pretty sure it's the same kit as for the -4. By the time I actually need to decide on mechanical vs electrical maybe there will be some new offerings in the market, nice to have options.

A couple options

I installed my electric trim servo in the elevator during construction, but I had already built mine for manual trim..no biggie to retrofit. I have seen others where the servo is under the intersection fairing similar to the RV3 in the link posted, and also have seen the servo mounted to the standard manual cable way up by the throttle compartment, as a retrofit. I didn't want the weight of the Teleflex, so I used the standard mounting set-up. I also installed electric aileron trim, and electric flaps with all switches/buttons on the stick (MAC), which is a really handy set-up that never requires a second hand or reach to the panel.