jessicas_other_half

Patron
This is for Jessica Cox's Impossible RV-10.

We are looking for ways to lower Jessica's workload in the cockpit, and one idea is to automate switching tanks. We are working with engineering students at the University of Arizona to develop a concept for the idea and are looking for parts to use in their prototype. Has anyone installed an electric fuel selector valve in an RV or other experimental airplane? If so, what did you use? If not, is there one you might trust under the right circumstances?

We know going electric isn't the norm, but we're going for a prototype first. Ideas on how to do it or any educational guidance would be appreciated (the students will read this thread). I'll be happy to show the prototype when it's done, and then we can get into the "why not's." You're welcome to post a "following" message or turn on notifications if you want to know when I post the prototype in May.

Thanks for your support!

(I almost forgot, the students aren't allowed to copy the new one from Cirrus ;))

Have you looked at available automotive technology? GM offered dual tanks in many trucks for many, many years. Relatively cheap and reliable, made by the thousands.
12v, electrically operated. They switch fuel lines and transfer the senders to one gage.
Anyway, for the cost, it might be worthwhile effort to reverse engineer them for educational purposes.

This is for Jessica Cox's Impossible RV-10.

We are looking for ways to lower Jessica's workload in the cockpit, and one idea is to automate switching tanks. We are working with engineering students at the University of Arizona to develop a concept for the idea and are looking for parts to use in their prototype. Has anyone installed an electric fuel selector valve in an RV or other experimental airplane? If so, what did you use? If not, is there one you might trust under the right circumstances?

We know going electric isn't the norm, but we're going for a prototype first. Ideas on how to do it or any educational guidance would be appreciated (the students will read this thread). I'll be happy to show the prototype when it's done, and then we can get into the "why not's." You're welcome to post a "following" message or turn on notifications if you want to know when I post the prototype in May.

Thanks for your support!

(I almost forgot, the students aren't allowed to copy the new one from Cirrus ;))
Have you looked at available automotive technology? GM offered dual tanks in many trucks for many, many years. Relatively cheap and reliable, made by the thousands.
12v, electrically operated. They switch fuel lines and transfer the senders to one gage.
Anyway, for the cost, it might be worthwhile effort to reverse engineer them for educational purposes.
Boundary Conditions? Is a manual override required? Position feedback? etc.

That's great to know. We'll look into it. Thanks!

With the sensor you have the failure to switch mode covered.

You will also need to ensure you have no failure modes where either both tanks are blocked in normal operation, or where both tanks are open to the suction.

If you are pulling from two tanks in a low wing aircraft, you will eventually pull one empty and air is easier to pull than fuel so it will end in an engine stoppage. They won't empty evenly as one would sometimes presume.

Derek