airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
Without starting another famous thread war concerning the virtues or pitfalls associated with off-spec fuel systems in Vans airplanes, let us just say that I have a hypothetical situation :D where I would like to be able to transfer fuel using an electric pump from one tank to another. I would like to be able to move this fuel at a reasonable rate, a gallon per minute or better, but pressure requirement is about nil since the tanks are on the same vertical position.

The AFP injector pump would obviously work, but at nearly $400 I'm sure there is a cheaper aftermarket automobile electric pump that could be adapted to this task. Does anyone have a suggestion for model number or purchasing location for my "hypothetical" situation? What is the wide-open flow rate of the $36 Facet pump?

Last edited:
The AFP injector pump would obviously work, but at nearly $400 I'm sure there is a cheaper aftermarket automobile electric pump that could be adapted to this task. Does anyone have a suggestion for model number or purchasing location for my "hypothetical" situation? What is the wide-open flow rate of the $36 Facet pump?

From my previous life - I had a Volvo 760 which had nice external fuel pump mounted under driver's seat (outside of course).

Rockauto.com has them around $80. Looks like this:

5lpgsr

Puts out 40psi and can supply 2.8l V6 engine, so efficiency should be more than enough for your needs.

A bit heavy though

That 760 pump is a rotorvane FI pump which are a bit weightier than the Facets.

I believe from memory that a $32 40106 Facet pump will make about 30GPH wide open...It was along time ago that I tested them for my old Zodiac.

If you get the Summit Racing catalogue there are a number of low pressure pumps in there and a number of them have the flowrate spec on them. They do come in a number of different sizes.

I would'nt put a rotorvane pump in for transfer purposes though due to cost and weight.

Frank
IO360 NAPA Rotorvane pump in each wingroot with no mechanical pump...STILL not dead after 310 hours...;)

Maybe not...

Puts out 40psi and can supply 2.8l V6 engine, so efficiency should be more than enough for your needs.

Here are the specs on the pump mentioned by Tomasz:

Minimum Current: 12 Volts
Operating Pressure: 45 PSI
Minimum Flow @ Outlet: 32 GPH

The problem is that fuel injection systems need a lot of pressure and not much flow. The little Facet pumps are good for about 15 GPH at 1 to 3 PSI. Speedway motors lists a pump that will move 97 GPH for $84.99

www.speedwaymotors.com

The coolest fuel transfer system I have ever used was in an SA-227 Metroliner. No pump, just a large tube from one wing to the other. Open the valve and fly it very slightly cross-controlled (1/4 ball would do it) and the fuel would flow to the low side.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

HERE IS WHAT I USED..........

I would like to be able to transfer fuel using an electric pump from one tank to another. I would like to be able to move this fuel at a reasonable rate, a gallon per minute or better, but pressure requirement is about nil since the tanks are on the same vertical position.

Does anyone have a suggestion for model number or purchasing location for my "hypothetical" situation? What is the wide-open flow rate of the $36 Facet pump?

I NEEDED TO TRANSFER diesel from the left tank to the right tank on my truck. I purchased a FACET PUMP FROM J.C. WHITNEY part no. 40103N. This pump is 7 to 9 psi at 45 gph. works great. I connected it to a spring controlled timer for a bathroom fan. A 30 minute one worked good. a 180 turn on the switch would transfer about 10 gallons............:D

PS........ The pump can lay flat if not used at max lift.

Last edited:
Side bar to the topic, DC-3 across the "pond"

I have a friend who ferried a DC-3 across the "pond". To do this, they installed temporary bladders with enough extra fuel and a transfer pump system for the two bladder tanks. Well over the ocean, they started the transfer of the second tank. A while later they realized that something was wrong, they where losing fuel. It turned out that they had installed a pump backwards. They where pumping out of the main back into the other bladder. They reworked the pump but came to the realization that the pump did not have enough flow to keep ahead of the engines burn to resupply the main. Fortunately, they had the second pump and enough plumbing and gumption to get it online parallel on the one bladder. All of this done in the middle of nowhere with no radio contact or any way to let anyone know where they where. I wonder what it felt like when they realized they had a problem before they realized how to fix it. They made it just fine.

Wow

Now that would get you thinking in a hurry...Now if Only I had (insert name of essential tool that is now standing between you and eternity) packed into my toolbox!

Phew!

Frank