KRAUSEGB

Well Known Member
My fuel pump (40105) started failing to work from time to time requiring me to use the old hammer trick with a few taps. That worked but continued to have the problem.
So I replaced the pump. The new pump is working but is extremely noisy, especially compared to the original pump.
Anyone have some thoughts on this?
I had 400 hours on the original pump.

Did you replace it with the 40135 updated pump?
When i did it took care of all my issues with low fuel PSI issues.
Yes its a bit louder but when you start the plane up you cant hear it.
Far better pump to run by the way.

This is going to "sound" crazy, but I like the "sound" of the electric fuel pump...

My protocol for pre-flight is to pull the plane out of the hanger, raise the canopy, and turn on the Master Switch before climbing into the plane. I like to hear how the electric pump sounds when I power it up. Just a little assurance that things are starting off on the right foot. I also got into the habit of turning on both ignition switches right after I power the Master. Eliminates the dumb look when you crank the engine and it doesn't start because no spark. Been there, done that, and looked stupid. :eek:

I replaced the pump with the same model 40105 that I had purchased some time back as a backup. The replacement pump is sure more noisy.

N836BL has an electric fuel pump that sounds like a darn mini jack hammer when you flip the main switch on. Very noisy, even with headphones on.

You know when it's working, it sounds like a collapsed hydraulic valve bucket on a V8.

That is pretty much the way it sounds to me as well!
So I guess I will just have to adjust to the increase in noisy.
You can sure tell it is working!