joedallas

Well Known Member
I'm considering adding electric flaps to my 12.
has anyone added electric flaps to a RV and what motor did you use.

Any pro's or con's

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Just my opinion - flying Cherokees with manual flaps and Cessnas with electric flaps, I much preferred the manual and that was one thing I liked about the RV-12. When you want 'em, or don't want 'em, you can do it quickly and positively. No waiting. No watching (the flap indicator.) No reliance on yet another system that can go wrong.

I wish the RV-12 flap handle, however, was further forward over the tunnel, instead of sort of buried between the seats. Like it is on the Cherokee. I also, personally, find the lock button hard to actuate - I've noticed this on four different airplanes.

Bob Bogash
N737G

Also I like to experiment more then flying

You mention some of the reasons I don't like the location of the flap handle
I also don't like to apply all the flap at one time
A touch of a bottom and a slow transition makes a smooth change to full flaps

Also I like to experiment more then flying and I like Flying

Just my opinion - flying Cherokees with manual flaps and Cessnas with electric flaps, I much preferred the manual and that was one thing I liked about the RV-12. When you want 'em, or don't want 'em, you can do it quickly and positively. No waiting. No watching (the flap indicator.) No reliance on yet another system that can go wrong.

I wish the RV-12 flap handle, however, was further forward over the tunnel, instead of sort of buried between the seats. Like it is on the Cherokee. I also, personally, find the lock button hard to actuate - I've noticed this on four different airplanes.

Bob Bogash
N737G

Flap handle spring ?

A few people are changing the spring to make it easy to change the flap position.
A weaker spring in the flap dandle may make it easy to employ the flaps however caution should be used on final not to accidently bump the button.
I think vans may have used the stronger spring to prevent the flaps from accidently releasing.

I am working on a electric flap design to make it easy to add or remove flaps as needed.