andrew phillips

Well Known Member
Just working on the elevator trim assy. The angle of the push-rod means that you have to file the opening in the bottom of the elevator longer to prevent the rod from rubbing on it. Is this the best fix or could I put a slight bend in the rod?

Trim rod

I bent the rod. Easy to do and gives plenty of clearance with no metal surgery.

Filing the notch a little longer in the elevator skin does no harm... and only takes a minute. Try a "chainsaw" sharpening file on the thin aluminum. They are made in some pretty small sizes and they are extremely fine toothed so they do a great job.

I'm another one who just bent the rod, but I can't see any reason that you couldn't reasonably open the hole either.

Paul

I elongated the hole enough for the rod to clear using a cordless dremel and then used a round file to dress the opening smooth. Works perfect and looks great!

trim rod

So, how much force/tension is put on this rod, holding the trim tab in position at 200mph (+ :eek: )?
Info goes to weather I bend or file :)

I had this problem and called Van's - they said file the notch, don't bend the rod. FWIW.

mcb

lorne green said:
So, how much force/tension is put on this rod, holding the trim tab in position at 200mph (+ :eek: )?
Info goes to weather I bend or file :)
Considering half the trim servo mechanism is plastic, there must not be too much load there. I filed the notch for what it's worth.