prkaye

Well Known Member
I'm installing my brake and fuel lines. The plans (DWG 36A) call for the ES40108 elec fuel pump (not included in kit). I think I've heard that for a fuel injected engine, one needs a different fuel pump. I'm planning on going with an IO-320. Does this mean that I should get a different pump than the ES40108? If so, which one do I get?

Usually, IO-320s end up with either Airflow Peformance or Bendix injection. The fuel pump and filter for the former comes in a handy kit from Vans for something north of $600. I'm not familiar with the pump part # you listed, but if it's a "standard" item for most any Vans kitplane, it is probably not suitable for injection.

I don't have my plans here with me, but if you are now installing the cockpit fuel lines, you need that FI pump kit and NOT the ES facet pump. The cover plate that covers the fuel and brake lines that run from the fuel selector value to the firewall has to be modified - the forward part is actally cut off and replaced by the FI mounting plate, to which the fuel pump assembly is attached. (You get a drawing with the kit that shows the new installation, sort of.) In addition to the FI pump assembly Vans sells (7/7A F.I. PUMP INSTAL, as already stated, which is for the RV-9/9A as well), and especially if you use the Andair fuel valve, order the F SWIVEL TEE fitting to make the plumbing installation easier. The Andair valve (FUEL VALVE FS 20X7T) is really nice and the installation is much easier than with the stock value used with a FI engine. With the stock value, the fuel lines from each tank crosses over at the valve. With the Andair valve, they don't - the right line connects to the right side of the valve, etc. This saves a lot of grief in the very tight space of the FI pump.

You can do a search in the FI forum on fuel pump installation, and Dan Checkoway's sight has some pictures of his installation. PM me and I can send out some of my own pictures, though I am redoing it right now. I was like you a few months ago - trying to figure things out - so I am happy to share what I learrned.

And, as I just learned, forgo a gascolator!

On final recommendation. The tube that you get with the Van's FI kit probably won't be enough. I highly suggest - unless you are a real master - ordering a bunch of extra 3/8" tubing. Routing the lines in behind the gear and all is hard, then you screw up the bends, then you forget to install the fittings before you form the flair, etc. I wasted more than I used, and had to order more (you can get it by the foot from ACS) but maybe you are less challenged that I am in the art of fuel line fabrication.

gascolator

Hey Paul
As you likely know you cant forgo the gascolator. I am now working on a way to install one in each wing root(thats a battle). Also, the tunnel cover forward of the afp fuel pump will get all cut up to fit the pump, and you will need to carve it up again, when you figure out what fuel flow transducer you will be installing between end of pump output and firewall. Tight space.
On top of afp pump, the rest will come on your engine, no facet pump required.

Fuel flow transducer

Don't most people install their fuel flow transducer forward of the firewall between the fuel controller and spider?

It is my understanding that you want it a little away from the pump and any tube bends and mounted vertically for best operation.

bevan
RV7a wiring

As to the AFP fuel pump

You can get a similar duty pump from NAPA for $130...The pressure reilief valve was about $30 if i remember correctly.

Try part number 2P74028...Oh yes and it will say the pump is rated for 8 psi or something..this is a mistake..its a 100psi pump like all rollervane pumps.

been using two of them (and no mechanical pump) for nearly 300 hours without trouble.

Frank

Really

Hey Frank.
Not sure if i am missing something...
You are buying your airplane fuel pump at napa for $130? Really?
I am all for experimental and i think the afp is kind of a rip, but....i dont have the kahunas to experiment with buying a much cheaper pump and rigging the solenoid up myself. I figured i would go with the best i could get on that critical part.
I never heard of such a thing...you should post a pic of the install. I would be pretty interested in just seeing the set up.
Cheers.

Actually there is another option. Aircraft Spruce sells the Weldon 8163A fuel pump which is the pump used in many certified planes with small lycomings for about the same price as the AFP setup (which seems to be a very good pump).

With the Weldon pump, you get a whole lot less plumbing and parts in a smaller package and with no feedback plumbing required as the bypass is internal. I also like the construction with no plastic parts.

Us EFI guys use Bosch or Walbro electric pumps exclusively- no mechanical pumps. If you have good filtration on the inlets and don't run them dry, I've seen Bosch pumps in 1970 era Volvos and Toyotas still working just fine with maybe 10,000 + hours on 'em hanging down in the slop, salt and road grime. The environment inside your airplane should be somewhat friendlier.:)

The pump used with the AFP setup is an Airtex E2315, available from Rockauto for $100. This is an aftermarket replacement for the high-pressure pump in 1976-1980 Cadillac Sevilles, among others. What makes the AFP pump assembly special, however, is the custom manifold and pressure relief valve, which of course only comes with the AFP setup. I rolled my own setup using the Airtex pump and modified a generic Bosch EFI regulator so that its pressure setting is 21 psi, but in hindsight, considering all the work I put into it, I should have just used the AFP kit.

Heinrich Gerhardt
RV-6, flying

bonaco

I've purchased the Bonaco fuel and brake hose kits, and am ordering the Andair fuel valve. I got Brett to send me the correct length fuel line for the Andair valve. But I didn't tell him I was goign with fuel injection... will my hose length still be suitable for the AFP pump setup? Does this pump mount int he same locaton as the regular (non-FI) fuel pump?

Does this pump mount int he same locaton as the regular (non-FI) fuel pump?

No. The boost pump is right below and forward of the fuel valve. Actually, the line from the boost pump to the firewall fitting is not hard to make using 3/8" alumimum tubing.

As for using a gascolator, I had posed this question in the Fuel Injection forum and the consensus was not to use one. This is consistent with Van's FI plans.

Phil,

The AirFLow Performance pump and filter kit you've been hearing about looks like this. This kit is assembled and already attached to the fuel valve plate (and has an Andair valve.) [Hope the photo link works.)