CBRXXDRV

Been around RVs for a while. RV4 and built an RV8.
This round I found an RV6A project. Supply chain problems as all
Have experienced. I placed the finish kit order
And decided on the elastomer gear ….. yeah well that’s
Becoming an issue. Looks like I am at about 14 months
So far and it may be 4 to 6 more. Ouch!
I am thinking of switching to the standard
Nose gear. Other than a couple RV10s I don’t
Think I know anyone that has used the
Elastomer gear. The gear will add 4 to six months
To the wait. Some body talk me into or out of the elastomer
Gear cause I could get going a lot sooner.
I have read all I could find but would like
Some real world comparisons.
Con. New gear adds nose weight and
Shifts CG forward. Pro “ portrays “ the
Fix for flip over incidence. Resale honestly is
The only reason I can see. I have
A Champ to go play on grass so the RV
Will see paved runways.

What say the brain trust?

Just my opinion

I am not sure of your speed of build, but will the new nose gear hold you up?

I switched to the new gear before I got to firewall forward and glad I did. And I need the weight on the nose.

The old gear is adequate if flown properly.
The new gear is beefier.

I installed my new gear towards the end of the build after the engine was in and most of the FWF done. The majority of the parts can go on within weeks of first flight, as long as you have the engine mount.

Having seen the two gears, if you could wait, I would wait.

Maybe someone has the parts you are missing for a use and replace thing, if you need them for first flight?

Last edited:
internet can't make that for you. The new gear solves a problem IMHO. However, the problem is not chronic. thousands of RVs with the old gear that have had no issues, myself included. My son got his PPL in our 6A and it held up fine; Though we were very carefull with the level of abuse we allowed him to put on the nose gear.

Yes, new is better. No, it is not necessary if you look at the statistics and you are a good enough pilot to land it correctly. If you like to come in fast, skip the flare and plop it down on three wheels, then yes, wait for the new gear. The old gear requires proper technique - landing on mains and bleeding speed before letting the NW down. This is a bit more of a chore in the 6, than the 7, as the 6 sits around 4 or 5* nose up as it sits on the gear. That means that you have to wait in the flare for the nose to rise a bit before you set it down. If you land on rough grass a lot, it would seem from my research that the new gear would be worthwhile, as that is a tough job for the gear. Many have reported that large holes in the turf have caused the NG to fold up.

Larry

Last edited: