Brantel

Well Known Member
Back at the beginning of 2011 I purchased and installed two of the cheap import 35W HID's with the current limited digital (yeah right) slimline ballast. These were retrofitted onto my existing Duckworks fog light leading edge kits.

They worked fine since then, my only complaint was too narrow a beam to work very well for recognition lights.

Well last week when I flipped em on in flight, my VP-X reported that one of them had a short circuit. I reset it to be sure it was not a fluke and it faulted again.

After some troubleshooting to rule out the wire being shorted, I pulled it all out to take a look...

The ballast stunk like fried electronics. I opened it up and it was partially potted with some kind of black rubber looking stuff. It stunk bad so it was toasted!

Bottom line is that I don't like electrical stuff self destructing and that stuff the ballast are potted with looks like it might actually burn so these cheap knockoffs are history.

I now have two AeroLed SunSpot 36LX's to install. One taxi and one landing. Duckworks is sending me the hold-down plates for these par36 type bulbs as well as a template to modify my original backplate with a round hole.

I will now have LED landing lights to go along with my homebrew LED Nav lights. Still have the strobes...

Last edited:
Brian, we've had other customers also have bad luck using the cheapo HID lights. Another issue that can happen is they just don't turn on consistently.

XeVision makes good HID lights. Or just go to LED lights if you think they are bright enough for your needs.

The sub $100 for 2 kind were the ones I have. I think I paid $37 delivered for the pair...

The problem is, all of these things look similar. Not sure $ is the best way to determine quality.

Last edited:
Brantel,

How did you have the balast mounted? Directly to aluminum or did you have any sort of insulator between the balast and airframe? Thinking along the lines of heat sink capability.

Also, I'd be interested to see a brightness comparison of your remaining HID and one of the new LED lights. :)

Thanks,
Russ

They were mounted in the clip provided with the ballast directly to the plate.

Will do on the comparison but that may be difficult since the HID's in the fog light reflector had a very narrow beam.