flyboy1963

Well Known Member
For anyone who has or is contemplating a 'larger' GPS or tablet, here's my first try at mounting my new ( used) EKP in the place of my little GeoPilot.
It was only +4c in the cockpit, so after an hour or two it was getting cold & dark in there!

https://plus.google.com/photos/1033...349108962083144199/albums/5981842373219771537

If you can't see the Picasa album, well, that's Google for you, they made it really unfriendly now. Let me know, & I'll try elsewhere.

As you can see, I used 3 hinges so that I get some triangulation and hopefully decent bracing, while still being able to swing out of the way of the stupid glove box door, and lay flat for the copilot to use.
I plan to add a top shade, as that seemed to help the reflections on my previous unit. At this time, there is no ability to tilt the unit, except to shim it somewhat permanently.
Still need to punch a hole in the dash to wire the glareshield GPS puck, as this unit seems to have no internal antennae, unlike the Geo, which worked fine under 'the bubble'. ( although AvMaps lousy manual clearly states it does have an internal antennae.!)

any questions.... I'd be glad to answer if I can, pictures may not tell the whole tale.
(Hey, I just realized, this is about the first rivets I've driven on my bird...ever! Haven't even done brake pads yet!):rolleyes:

Perry, looks good.

Once you learn to program the EKP, you will love it. Clear and bright screen along with the large format is a real hit with my wife and I.

Hmmm interesting mount indeed! I have a 396 which has lost its home in our panel so I've been trying to figure out where it might go. You've give some inspiration.

One observation... the mount reduces the clearance between the occupant and a very hard object. This effect is magnified when the mount is in the "pilot viewing" position. Since impact injuries, particularly head injuries, make up a large portion of the damage done to occupants in a crash, this is one element of the design which is critical.

that's a 'D'oh! moment.!

Mark,
good point on the hazard, seeing how I creamed my noggin' on the stupid compass a dozen times while installing this!
Luckily(?) there ain't a copilot often, but if the dash is padded, then what about this thing!
a couple of thoughts......the velcro holding the EKP to the mount will allow it to 'break free', and the one leg of the mount is also velcro'd to the dash, but not in a good geometry for impact absorption.

okay, looks like AmSafe airbags needed eh? :)

thanks for the comments.