LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
I'm hooking up the serial output of the GRT EIS 4000 to the laptop and I'm also installing the EISLog software.

Question: Is there another program I need between these two items to acquire/create a log file for EISLog to interpret, or does the data flow automatically into the EISLog?

I never tried the EIS Log program but did use the Waiters Flight Data recorder program. Once I hooked up the serial data line to my computer and got the right serial port selected in the software evrything worked great. Don't forget to keep the laptop powered up and don't let it go into hibernation.

I have a little schematic of the data cable I made up if you want it. Also, a lot of laptops come with USB but no serial port. I bought a serial to usb converter and used it successfully, again after setting up the right serial port number in the software.

Thanks, John. Sure enough. Serial out to pin 2 and ground to pin 5 and mess with the com port settings and it spewed data!

Now I just have to figure out how to get that second tach reading to show up somewhere and we'll be in business.

Glad it worked for you Bob. Having the data was very helpful for me. I have been chasing induction leaks and looking at EGT spikes when I throttle back has helped spot them early. I've now installed a SkyView and am working out data collection from it. It should be easy but haven't figured it out yet. I am probably making it harder than it needs to be or trying to do too much.