RV8iator

Well Known Member
Benefactor
I need help. I'm installing an EI UBG16 engine analyzer and I'm going to put in the OAT probe. It came with no instructions with the probe and the big book says hook it up to either channel 7 or 8. Question..
the probe came with a short lead and a yellow plug with two flat metal probes sticking out. How do I hook it up to the leads on the UBG16. Everything else is pretty clear..
Any help would be appreciated...

Hi Jerry,

I just went through this installation with the US-8A engine analyzer. You need an extension cable from EI. It will come with the mating flat yellow connector on one end, and crimped on pin connectors at the other end. I purchased the probe from Aircraft Spruce and for the price I paid them, they should have packaged it with the extension cable. I called EI direct for the cable. They asked me what Aircraft Spruce charged me for the probe ($80 some odd dollars). EI only charged me the difference between what I paid AS, and EI's retail price for probe and cable, which was $10 plus UPS shipping. I had it in hand in a couple of days. EI has treated me very well on several occasions. Make sure you know how long the cable needs to be. I think 6 feet was the standard length.

Hope this helps,

Roger Hoffman
Murphy Rebel

UBG-16 OAT probe

Jerry: I've recently installed 2 UBG-16 systems in mooneys and they work great. Do you have the "XCS Extension Cable" ? It usually is 6' long but can be longer & has the flat plastic receptacle on one end which mates to the OAT probe plug, and on the other end has 2 cannon plug pins that push into the 16 pin circular connectors. The guys at E.I. Dave, Matt & Jordan are great to work with and will walk you thru which pin goes in what connector. On the first install I located the probe in a fuselage air inlet scoop, a similar set up to the rv's and had some issues with heat from the engine compartment so moved it to bottom of right wing a couple feet from the exhaust stream. Contact me if I can help.
Don Broussard (really want a 7)