Elwell81

I have dual P-mags and have been looking into the EI Commander for its added capability. My problem is with 2 G3X touches, I have no panel space for one.

Maybe its been brought up before, but has there been any thought to a remote mounted box, then using RS-232 to an EFIS (G3X, Skyview, etc..)? With the VP-X, the interface works perfectly, so I assume the same could be done with an EI Commander. Just curious.

While we have spoken to both GRT and Dynon in the past, nothing came of it. So, unfortunately the EIC cannot communicate with other systems at this time.

Feel free to contact me, if you have any questions. (Check your PM's)

Last edited:
I've been thinking of a way to get some data from my EI Commander to my MGL iEFIS system, sort of a heads up add on. There's a lot of code that needs to be written by each EFIS manufacturer to interface to any external data. The MGL has analog and digital inputs that can be programmed for most anything.
But either way I would never fly pmags without an EI Commander, NEVER!. I've had lots of problems with my pmags and the EIC found them instantly before there was damage. The EIC is like an EFIS for pmags.

Last edited:
In this case it is more than a software solution as we would have to add another comm channel for the EFIS and then add software on top of that.

We really wish the EFIS manufacturers would use the CAN bus as it would make talking with the different ones much easier.

I've been in software for over 30 years and one thing that has changed in that time is that the hardware is now easier and cheaper, with a shorter development cycles to create than software.

PS. Thank you for your compliment!

Last edited:
Looking over the pin out of the EIC, I think Ed should have added an output from the alarm LED to the 15 pin connector. This could be used to drive another warning indicator or EFIS alarm input. I'll have to mention that to him.

Looking over the pin out of the EIC, I think Ed should have added an output from the alarm LED to the 15 pin connector. This could be used to drive another warning indicator or EFIS alarm input. I'll have to mention that to him.

Thanks, we would like to have your input.

Adding an audio output isn't a big deal and is already in the works but the challenge to integrating it with an EFIS is getting the manufactures to agree to linking in with a "foreign" device, using a common protocol. They like to control everything, and rightly so. Just think about what would happen if some odd ball piece of electronics caused their EFIS to reboot while you are IFR. Not a good thing, to say the least.

No, I agree.. I don't see any of the EFIS makers wanting to write protocol for the EIC to integrate. I can only imagine how much work it was for Mark to get them all onboard with the VP-X products. But it does work very well.

On the other hand I'm sure it's possible for the EIC to output an analog voltage to follow the indications on the EIC and a digital output for a remote alarm.

Im my case with the MGL iEFIS I can input analog and digital inputs and program them to do whatever I want. So a digital alarm output could trigger a flashing warning on my EFIS screens. An analog voltage could easily be displayed on my EFIS screen in any form I please. With just these outputs I could nearly have an EIC display on my EFIS's. So other than a serial data communication there are ways to use some EFIS's capabilities, and MFD's, to remotely show EIC info. Just a thought. I know there are lots of things in the works. All good things.