Cth6

Well Known Member
I wanted to share my experience with Electronics International (EI) and installing the CGR-30P. Bottom line, there were some minor bumps, but overall very impressed.

Last fall I decided that I wanted to replace the existing steam gauges on my panel, update my EI UBG-16 and relocate my ipad to the center of the panel. After doing way more research than I should have and walking the hangars at Sun-n-Fun, I landed on the Experimental CGR-30P Premium. I felt the CGR-30 Combo was a bit of an overkill for what I was monitoring and if I was wrong, I could always order the second screen. I also opted to do a new install, not an upgrade which was an option if I wanted to use the existing UBG-16 probes, wires and connectors.

Ordering Experience
  • The configuration worksheet makes selecting the options you want easy. Watch out as many of the resellers shared an older version of the worksheet. The latest version is on EI’s site.
  • Everything you needed for the install was included in the order. More on that in a bit.
  • The one part I did find confusing what the limits section of the spreadsheet. Only 8 total functions can have limits, but almost all 13 have limits depicted on the gauges in my aircraft/POH. A quick phone call to EI tech support cleared that up. Only the functions on the front page and 3 on the second page will generate alert messages on the first page. Others can have limits, but they will not alarm on the main page.
Delivery Experience
  • The packaging was done very well and everything was labeled nicely in individual bags. Good luck fitting it back in the same box after you take it out for inventory.
  • I was told to expect delivery in 3-4 weeks, but it ended up being closer to 8-9. I realize there are still supply chain issues, but I figured most of that was past us.
  • During the inventory, I realized that the EGT probes were the new fast response ones with the smaller holes, vs the legacy robust probes that came with the UBG-16 and required larger holes. Since EI offers multiple probe types, I wish they would have disclosed the ones that they were shipping on the configuration sheet or ideally allowed me to select the ones I needed like they do with the other probes. EI tech support was great dealing with my issue. They sent over an RMA, I mailed in the fast response probes and two weeks later I had the robust ones.
  • The only other inventory issue was the electronic mag tach pick up was a short wire (3’), like the mag wire. Since the mag wire goes to the key switch it was more than enough. I had to extend the wire to get to my PMAG. I can’t think of many applications that an electronic mag will be reachable with the short lead. I would like to see EI extend that to the standard cable length selected on the order form, 8’ in my case.
  • The only other items not included in the box were the required fuel hoses and AN fittings for the red cube. I was expecting I would need to order those after the fact and EI was very clear about that in their documentation.
  • I was very impressed how complete this kit was and frankly is about as turn key as you can be. I actually ordered some parts from ACS with the thought that, no way would that be included but it was. An example is the cover for the engine mechanical tach port, they put one in the box.
Install Experience
  • Overall, most of the time was routing the cables, lacing them, securing the service loops. Everything was labeled nicely and the terminations were solid. I ended up using the provided ferrules and the OLC-2 connectors. As an extra precaution, I slipped over a piece of heat shrink to make sure the hex screws didn’t create a short.
  • The EDC-33PW was a bit larger than I expected, but was true to the measurements provided by EI. Note the picture in the install manual is not full scale. I do wish they would have provided 1:1 scale drawings for the mounting points for all of the hardware. It would have made some of the bracket fabrication easier.
Startup Experience
  • My oil pressure probe was DOA and was easily caught during the start up. Oil Pressure was maxed at 300 PSI or so. Disconnecting it would drop it to 0. EI tech support was great, confirmed the additional troubleshooting steps I took and shipped a replacement out immediately while I sent the old one out. I ended up having to put my credit card down while I waited for them to validate the DOA one was really dead. The refund to my CC came very quickly.
  • I did have one bug in my specific configuration, that was identified after a bit of troubleshooting. Specifically, the EGT/CHTs were all showing *F but were actually reporting the *C temp. This did take a few days for EI to figure out what happened, but they walked me through the fix in a few minutes.
  • Outside of that, all of the tests worked as planned.
Final Thoughts
  • Overall, the install took just under 40 hours. 8 hours removing all of the old gauges and cleaning up wiring. 5 hours making deciding on placement of equipment and manufacturing the mounting solutions. 20 hours installing the new wiring and equipment as well as making everything tidy. 3 hours of troubleshooting the oil pressure and the temp bug. 2 hours of testing, log book entries, W&B,….
  • EI Tech support and post sales has been great to deal with. Unless you call at the moment they open, you are going to end up giving your name and number for a call back. Every time, I have received a call back the same day.
  • The EI documentation is a bit lacking at times. For example, you receive conflicting information on how to perform the fuel tank configuration for the 30P. It turns out one is actually for the 30P (7 levels) and the other is for a 50T (5 levels).
  • It is going to take a bit of time for me to get used to the new gauge and update my flows. Overall, I am very happy I went down this path with the 30P.