ltn6a

Hi ALL

Looked but could not find the dimension from the exhaust flange that the 1/8 th EGT probe holes should be drilled in the exhaust on my io-320 vetterman exhast Dynon manual just gives 2"-8" and see engine manual but i cant find this info,Any help please.

Mark

All must be spaced the same distance from the flange. Make sure you do not block access to removing the plugs..Ask me how I know this!!:)

something like 3" is good

If you put the probe closer than about 2.5", some report that the probe life is shortened because the flame can extend down into the tube that far. If you put it too far away, like 4" or more, you will get frustratingly slow response. So, it seems like something around 3" is good.
As Jeff said, it is important to try to get all four as close to the same distance as possible - its the relative readings that matter.

Call Larry

Larry Vetterman has done a lot of research on how to place the EGT probes. I had a 10 to 15 minute conversation with Larry on EGT probes. Not only did he tell me how far down the pipe to place the EGT probe but how to clock the probe for each individual cylinder. His # is in the advertisers index.

Rather than we all calling Larry, perhaps you could just tell us what he said?

There were lots of variables. For example, new style of probes or old style of probes, cowl clearance and spark plug clearance. I'm am sure every engine size, airframe and exhaust (crossover, 4 pipe etc) are different. Some how we came to the conclusion that I have the new style of probes. Rather than me giving false information it is probably better to talk to the expert. Larry mention that gets a lot of exhaust sent back to him for repair from missed drilled holes. I have an O360 parallel valve, crossover, RV6. If someone has that configuration with the new style of probes send me a PM. I will confirm the measurement from the flange. Kinda forget.

Speaking of EGT/CHT probes

I always thought that the thermocouple wire was supposed to run continuously from the probe to the instrument.

On the flying RV-6A I bought there are lots of connections along the way, but they are unfamiliar looking to me. Is it possible that there is some kind of special connector for thermocouple wire that I am unaware of?

What is the consequence of connectors in the thermomcouple lines that shouldn't be there? Right now I am chugging along fat dumb and happy with CHTs that rarely exceed 325 - 350 degrees, but I am starting to wonder if I could be getting artificially low readings. Or maybe I am just a compulsive worrier.

Larry

special connectors best, but not required

Thermocouples work by a mechanism that involves small voltages that are generated at interfaces of different metals at different temperatures.

They do make special thermocouple connectors that use the same metals as the thermocouple wire, so that any temperature differences at the connectors will not influence the thermocouple reading in any way.

Frustratingly, these special connectors are rather bulky. Even the ones they call 'miniature' are the size of a nickel. But if you have these connectors, use them.

If/when you use regular splice connectors (tinned copper usually), you are creating junctions with different metals, and the POTENTIAL (pun intended) to cause erroneous readings from your probes. But as long as the temperature is the same at both connectors for the two wires, then the errors all cancel out, and everything is fine.

Let me clarify: A typical probe uses an Iron wire and a Constantan wire, for example. (Constantan is a special alloy). They are joined at the probe tip, and a voltage is generated when that junction is at a different temperature than the temperature at the measuring instrument. ( some electronic magic is done there to create a virtual cold junction inside the instrument).

Now, if we put a splice in each wire, there is a junction from the iron wire to the connector, and then another junction back to the iron wire. Same for the constantan wire, a junction to the connector, then another one back to constantan. As long as the junctions from the iron and constantan wires to the connectors are at the same temperature, there is no error in the probe reading. Small differences in temperature between the two splices will cause small errors in the reading.

So, you should just make sure that these splices are very close together, in the same temperature environment.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies,I am in the UK and fitting the standard Dynon supplied probes has any one fitted tehes and like to share their knowledge.If i have to call larry i will but was hoping to get sufficianr info from the forum.

Thanks
Mark