BlackRV7

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to drill the holes in my Vetterman exhaust for installation of the Dynon supplied EGT probes. The intake tubes eliminate positioning the probes pointing directly rearward so some offset is needed. What is the desired positioning of the probe, ie., probe pointing outside of the intake tubes or inside the intake tube. My thoughts are to go inside of the tubes, making a cleaning wire run to the thermocouple harness wires. Any thoughts, pics or other ideas?

Also, on my exhaust the #1 exhaust has a elbow bend about 2" below the flange. To position the probe on a flap spot I have to go past the bend. The distance brings the other three probes right at the intersection points of the joints. If they are within say, two inches of #1 but 2,3 & 4 are the same distance surely I won't have a noticable difference in actual EGT between #1 and the other 3. Care to comment??

Dana Overall
Richmond, KY i39
RV-7 slider, Imron black, "Black Magic"
O 360 A1A, C/S C2YK-1BF/F7666A4
http://rvflying.tripod.com/id30.html
do not archive

Hope this helps:

124_2441_1.jpg

124_2443_1.jpg

Vern Little

EGT is quite different at different distances from the flange. They all should be the same. Closer to the flange, quicker reaction. Farther from the flange, probes last longer. Another positioning recommendation, make sure you can still get to the exhaust flange nuts to check torque. These can work loose over time and when they do, you will get excessive burning of the aluminum cylinder head.

Thanks

Thanks gang for all the pics on the list and off. This is one of the things that makes building so fun, new friends to meet in the future.

It's not the airplane, it's the people.

Again, thanks.