wadem

I have an older analog EGT gauge that has readings for two EGT's. Is there an optimum location if you can only monitor 2 cylinders? ie, #1,#4 etc?
I do plan on getting an EMS soon but thought i would hook this up for now.
Previous owner installed new exhaust and discarded all associated wiring, probes etc.

Cheers

Wade

If you are going to monitor just 2 cyls, I would recommend #3 and #4. #4 runs hottest on most aircraft, but #3 seems to always be the hottest on RVs.
If you have not drilled the exhaust and intend to add the other probes later, be sure to locate the probes at a distance that all probes can be at the same relative location from the flange.

If you are going to monitor just 2 cyls, I would recommend #3 and #4. #4 runs hottest on most aircraft, but #3 seems to always be the hottest on RVs.

if the question was in regard to CHTs I would agree, but since it's EGTs, I would say that it doesn't matter which cylinders you put them on. However, if you only have two CHT probes as well, put the probes for both EGT and CHT on the same cylinders and go with what Mel says. And get your engine monitor ASAP so you will have ALL the data.
erich

If you are going to monitor 3 & 4, just make sure you cut down the air dams on #1 and #2 on the Van's baffle kit. Otherwise, you'll probably be monitoring your two coolest cylinders.

2.0 - 4.0 inches from the head.

Make all 4 the same position and distance.

I would get that EMS fitted as soon as you can. They are worth every penny.

Position again...

Is 1 inch from the head two close? I'm installing on cylinder #3 with standard cross over exhaust. There is a bend that starts at about 1.25 inches, followed by the exhaust pipe section connector. It is either at 1.125 inces or 6 inches.

Thanks,
Michael-

If it can't go on the bend it will have to do, but often the bends are not that bad. Maybe your are.

Same across all is better if you can.

Is 1 inch from the head two close? I'm installing on cylinder #3 with standard cross over exhaust. There is a bend that starts at about 1.25 inches, followed by the exhaust pipe section connector. It is either at 1.125 inces or 6 inches.

Thanks,
Michael-

I think that at 1", you're going to be burning up a lot of probes, especially since you have to put ALL of them that close to be consistent. Many folks have been able to place their probes in the normal range with the "Standard cross-over exhaust" - I'd very hesitant to drill holes at 1".

Watch the angle you put the probles in. Make sure you can still get the spark plugs out. I have seen them installed in a manner that interfered with access to the plugs.

Watch the angle you put the probles in. Make sure you can still get the spark plugs out. I have seen them installed in a manner that interfered with access to the plugs.

Yup - "Smart People do Stupid Things ...I've done 'em" ;)

I'll try the bend...

I just assumed that putting it on the bend was not a good idea. But I found some pictures of some other's install and see them on the bend.

Thanks!
Michael-