loopfuzz

Well Known Member
I'm wondering if anyone has done experiments seeing if you can use one brands K-type probe with a different brands EGT monitor (that expects a K-type probe of course). I didn't see any postings on this.

The problem I could see is that each probe might give off a slightly different voltage depending on temperature of the heat it's exposed to. That and they may be response differently at different temperatures then what the monitor/gauge is expecting. (though if they are both k-type probes it seems like they would be close.. right?)

If someone was to compare a couple of these, they might find out that you could use a Falcon K-type probe (a bit of cost savings) on a GEM egt monitor.. Which is the case for me...

Chris.

Thermocouples of a given type, say "type K'" generate the same millivoltage for a given temperature. Different designs may have different response times, but that is usually not an issue.

Electronic readouts should be able to accept any thermocouple as long as it is the same type.

Analog readouts, on the other hand require a specific circuit resistance to read accurately. Probe resistance can vary between manufacturers due to the wire gauge and length.

The reason for the above is that electronic readouts have a very high input impedance and draw very little current. The older style gauges have a relatively low input impedance and draw current to produce a reading and are affected by the resistance of the probe and leads.

k-type probes

Thanks for the help. I have another question. Is there published values that have already been calculated for these k-type probes? Say I wanted to make a microcontroller project that read these values and displayed the temperature. Any documentation on this?

Thanks!
Chris.

Last edited:
Omega is a good place to find the temp vs mv tables.

Unfortunately the relationship is non linear. more of a gentle "S" shape.

You could do some curve fitting stuff or take the area of interest on the curve and make the low end your zero reference and the high end your span.

Omega publishes a three or four volume set of catalog/ data books. They are loaded with data and information. If you have an associate who works in a lab or a facility that uses instrumentation, the books can be had for free.