RV10Rob

Well Known Member
Ever since I started flying, I've had problems with erratic EGT readings on a couple cylinders. I'm pretty sure the issue is the connector crimps on the sensor wires, since "re-crimping" will usually fix the problem for a few hours. Anyone have advice on how to fix this more reliably?

Thanks...

-Rob

Do you strip extra long and double over the probe wire before shoving it in the butt splice?

solder - per AFS manual

I soldered mine per the AFS manual...see below.

Gordon
Lancair ES N144GP

EGT/CHT Installation
1. Locate the EGT probes, P/N 40200, not less than 1 1/2? or more than 3? below the exhaust stack attachment flange. 2? to 3? is optimum, and try to mount all probes equal distance from the exhaust flanges. On curved stacks, assume probe tip is on stack centerline for determining distance to exhaust flange. Carefully center punch the probe hole locations such that the portions of the probes external to the exhaust pipes will not interfere with any parts of the engine or cowling. Drill holes with a #30 drill.
2. Carefully insert probe and clamp snugly with screwdriver.
3. Install CHT probes, P/N 40100, in threaded wells on cylinders. Torque probe bodies to 25-30 inch pounds.
4. Install terminals on #20 type J & K thermocouple wire
5. WIRES MUST HAVE A 1/4" DRIP LOOP TO PREVENT OIL OR SOLVENT FROM RUNNING INTO THE PROBE.
This wire is very hard and will loosen inside a crimped brass or copper terminal, as there is no ?cold welding? action like there is with crimped copper wire.
To prevent loosening of the crimp in service proceed as follows:
1. Strip wire exposing 3/8? of core conductor. Take care not to nick or cut the conductor.
2. Double end of wire back in hairpin bend so crimp is on doubled wire.
3. Crimp on a non-insulated barrel terminal using a crimping tool designed for non-insulated terminals. Be sure that the barrel seam is facing the rounded side of the crimping tool and not the crimping post as this will result in a poor crimp.
4. Place a drop of Alpha Metals 51022 liquid soldering flux (Ace Hardware) in open end of crimp and then heat and sweat in rosin core solder to fill the joint.