Mark Henderson

Well Known Member
Today I tried to turn the Dynon on. Nothing. It was working 2 days ago, but would not fire up today.I'm not yet flying, still in the construction phase. I first checked the obvious. Fuse--ok, battery--charged--nothing I've been working on the last few days has been electrical. I finally took the top cover off and checked that all D-sub connectors were tight. They were. Still nothing. At least one person had mentioned that some pins were not seated correctly. I opened the back shells and all seemed well. I reconnected the D-sub connectors and still zilch. I tried a few minutes later and it fired up just fine. The only other symptom I can relate is that the last couple of times I turned the master on the Dynon did not come on by itself. I had to press button 1 to get it to come on line. Has anyone else had problems with theirs?

Had something similar, but, it was due to the near zero ambient temperature. I turned on the master & avionics switch and the Dynon came to life but displayed and "Out of Spec" temperature message. Turned off the two switches. Five minutes later turned on the master & avionics switch and the Dynon did not come to life. Pressing the Dynon panel buttons did nothing. Let it sit for about 10-15 minutes with the switches on and it came to life.

Discussed the issue with Dynon technical support. They wanted the unit back for repair as my symptoms were not to be expected at 0 degF. Has been working OK since, but, the unit has not cold soaked near 0 degF since it was repaired & reinstalled.

Found the problem

With the help of the Dynon tech support I finally traced the problem to a loose pin on the plug that is connected to the main power board. The pin was not seated all the way and made contact intermittently. Others have noted pins not fully seating. Now that I have seen what a partially seated pin looks like, it is easy to spot. If you see any metal, the pin isn't all the way in.

I have always found Dynon's technical department to be more than helpful concerning any and every question I ever had. Its no wonder they are on the leading edge of their business...they care about their customers like the others used to.

Mark:

I noticed that you are not yet flying so I'm assuming this is happening in your shop. Are you running a trickle charger on your battery? I'm assuming the EFIS units in the 12's come with the backup battery? What was the buss voltage on your main buss and the backup battery? Were they getting weak? In my experience my Dynon units (EFIS D-10A and EMS D-10) will shut down at about 11.2-11.5 volts.