• Other

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • "I don't want no stinking EFIS."

Votes: 4 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RV7Guy

Well Known Member
We are in such a great time in aviation with a wide variety of EFIS selections available. The prices and functions are within grasp of most builders. I'm sure others have wondered as I have, "what are people using, or planning to use in their planes?"

Here is a poll. Please make your selection based on what you are currently using or are committed to. If you are early in your build and still at least two years out, hold off on voting. Things will change by the time you are ready to actually make a commitment as might your decision.

The companies listed are the predominant ones we see in our world. If you have an "other" vote, list your equipment.

This should be interesting!!!

Currently have GRT, first generation.

I would like to update to the newer GRT's when the money farie cuts loose with some cash.

Last edited:
I voted other because 1) I am very happy with my Blue Mountain G4 'One' in the -6A and will use it until it fails and 2) the RV-10 gets a Garmin G900X.

I'm not sure that a simple survey will be that meaningful here. I mean, I don't think I'd try to stuff a 900X into a two place RV, nor do I think some of the simpler systems belong in a -10, so RV model is a factor. Then there's the feature variance, and so on. If you're really interested in this stuff, why not link a web-based survey rather than use a simple poll?

I also voted as Patrick but depending on the intend for this survey, I believe a simple vote without other data is not as useful.

I'm not sure that a simple survey will be that meaningful here. I mean, I don't think I'd try to stuff a 900X into a two place RV, nor do I think some of the simpler systems belong in a -10, so RV model is a factor. Then there's the feature variance, and so on. If you're really interested in this stuff, why not link a web-based survey rather than use a simple poll?

Patrick,

I think the poll is quite meaningful. I believe I would be safe to say that most RV builders are cost conscious. All of the companies listed fit that bill. You could easily make a $200K RV10 a $300K RV10 by the panel alone. My neighbor has a Lancair IVP with a panel value approaching $150K. Is that practical for a 10. Probably not, but it is doable.

Another factor, I believe some the decision making on EFIS systems and avionics is regional. I'd bet you'll find more AFS and Dynon users left of the Rockies and more GRT users right of the Mississippi. Could be wrong but....

Anyway, lets see how it plays out. If nothing else it is low grade entertainment.

I chose Dynon because that is what I am invested in today.

Would I do it again? Sure if I had the same mission, budget ect. I had at the time I purchased. If not, I would have to re-evaluate the options that fit my situation.

While these polls do show brand loyalty, it is hard to come up with any conclusions from the data that can't be questioned for validity. It is kind of like trying to quantify the accident statistics.

It is just too hard to know all the variables that go into another persons decision to purchase one system over the other and apply that to your own situation.

I say wait as long as you can before purchase. Lay out a matrix of your wants, needs, mission, budget ect. and then see what is available at the time that matches your situation. The fog becomes much more clear when you do it this way. Just make sure you truly understand how marketed features are implemented on the systems all things labeled the same are not in the experimental EFIS world. Also understand that there are some people that have more to gain or lose from your choice than others and that might impact how they try to influence your decision.

Last edited:
"For Entertainment Value Only", I had to go in to the poll as a moderator to make my choices, becaue I had to vote for GRT, Garmin and Dynon - cause we have those in our three RV's. I expect, as was already said, the poll will tell us more about price and brand loyalty than anything rational - but no harm in that...

As Brantel said, many variables will go into each person's decision - th emost important is if you are building the plane for IFR or VFR.

I agree, Darwin, that it will be fun to follow - I bet I can already predict the "finishing order" based on price and the way most RV's are used....;)

Paul

Brian's matrix is really smart, a great place to start; and the data from a poll like this will probably show high customer loyalty...which may not make a buying decision any easier.

That loyalty probably shows that:
1. We are dealing with some really innovative companies that also support their customers very well...way cool!
2. We invest ourselves in learning our EFIS, and often "to know it is to love it" (ie, it becomes a tool we like to use...its our tool). Not a bad thing to get thusly invested, from a training and safety standpoint.

So it will be fun to see how it goes, even if it is predictable, and there are numerous winners.

If I were making a buying decision (I'm kinda glad I'm not...my wife is really glad I'm not! :rolleyes:) I would want to spend a lot of quality time with each, because looking at the features, advantages and benefits list of each is eye-watering...they are all that good. If that's where I was at, I'd try to spend a chunk of a day with each at OSH (go early to avoid the line and not be a hog!). Its not feasible, but I'd love to fly a multi-leg X-C behind each, just to see how buttonology, screen swapping and practical use really pans out...and which screens my eyes just like the best.

Short of that, Paul and Louise, if I ever do get in a buy mode, can I borrow the Val, Mikey and JR...just for a little while? ;) A buddy here has an MGL...now I just need to find an AFS...I doubt Fast Tom will let me fly his Rocket. :p

One poll that might glean some supporting data would be to ask folks their "top five" in two areas:

1. What features or capabilities do you like and use the most?
2. What things do you wish it did, or you wish you could do with it, the most?

For instance, on my classic Dynon, I would love to be able to use the AP-74 value knob to adjust the AP's vertical speed (versus multiple menu button smashes), or I'd love to tell it to "just match the VSI-to-target number from the 396". Then I could be really lazy! :D

That data may already be in the archives, and the manufacturer forums have great info too (and heck, someone may even know how to do what I just asked for!)

Fun to shop though, eh!

Cheers,
Bob

GRT

I went with GRT 1st gen about 6 yrs ago while installing my panel. I love the unit and the support they give. If I were buying an EFIS today, I would give a hard look at them all. Things change so fast in that arena tho... I expect we'll have full synthetic including infrared for IFR maybe in 3D... who knows?

Sure makes it fun compared to the certified crowd...

Advice to current builders... wait until you absolutely have to make a decision.

I didnt really fit either...

But I voted for Dynon, which I did install and am flying behind with no problems. I would have gone with AFS to support Rob and his family. They are local and that connection is important to me.
My decision to use Dynon, other than they had an equally good rep, was that AFS did not have a direct replacement for the 3 1/4" Blue Mountain G3 that I was replacing, nor any plans to develop. I simply did not want to make the replacement that surgical and have to cut up my panel.
Like Jerry said, put this off to the last possible point before making that decision.

I voted for Garmin and the G3X, because that is what I'm waiting on Stein to ship out here (along with the TruTrak GX).

Having done a TON of research it basically came down to the recent $5K rebate. For the capability and cost with the rebate it was too good to pass up.

We wanted a panel commensurate with experience and capability, so a full blown EFIS which will be coupled with an approach certified WAAS GPS was a must. The GX and it's approach coupling capability and integration just made it all that much sweeter. Beyond that I feel the extra cost really just buys the peace of mind of Garmin's experience, and that all the equipment is derived from TSO'd gear.

When Dynon finally announced VP-X support, that was pretty much it for me however that rebate brought the cost/capabilites down to a point that it pretty much made the choice a no brainer.

Decide on your mission/capabilities... what you want out of your plane, decide on a budget, then go from there.

Last edited:
TruTrak

I had to put my vote with other, as I have installed a TruTrak EFIS. Not flying yet, but it sure looks good. Can't wait to get up in the air to check it out!

Photo Posted Here

This quote is from General Aviation News regarding Dynon:

Code:
The 10-year-old company is the undisputed market leader in experimental avionics, appearing in more homebuilts and LSAs than any other manufacturer. Some estimates peg market share at an astounding 70%.