pierre smith

Well Known Member
A friend is mounting a Dynon 180 in his -4 and thinks he can buy a cheap DVD monitor, like the ones in cars, and duplicate his D180 flight display for the backseater.

Have any of you guys considered this? Can it even work?

Curious.... :cool:

pierre smith said:
A friend is mounting a Dynon 180 in his -4 and thinks he can buy a cheap DVD monitor, like the ones in cars, and duplicate his D180 flight display for the backseater.

Nope ... this type of question was posted to the Dynon support, they don't support multi-monitors.

Nothing cheap will work...

pierre smith said:

Can it be done? Sure.

Would it be easy? Probably not.

Would it be bright enough and strong enough? Probably not.

You dig into the internals of the Dynon unit and figure out where and how the video information get to the display and wire in "something" to copy it out to an interface unit you yourself would build. Then, that video gets sent back to the rear seat monitor "somehow". Keep in mind that opening up the Dynon unit to do all of this probably voids the warranty and may damage the unit and make it cosmetically damaged. So already you may be needing to buy a second unit from Dynon(!)

Seems to me (as one who has spent much of his professional career modifying avionics and military devices to do things they were never meant to do) that it would be easier and better just to get a second unit from Dynon.

Producing the flight display image is easy. Finding the hardware to display it on well and for not too much is hard. I was flying a DA40 last week with a Garmin 430 and was frustrated by how dim the display was in the sun - so even a high quality unit like Garmin has still not quite solved the problem.

But its fun to think about. Myself, I intend to go basic old fashioned steam gauges at first, then add electronic displays of my own concoction later on.

Cheers

John Babrick
(HS will maybe be done this weekend!!!)

Last edited:
Interesting though. I seem to recall the dynon tech responding about this question also.

other companies like GRT and BMA can provide second screens.

other questions that are similar are the DVD screens versus a GRT screen. Guys are wanting to put lip stick cameras on their Harmon Rockets and display the video picture on the second GRT screen. I think it CAN be done. for taxi purposes.

I'm planning on just putting an used old Garmin color 295 GPS in the backseat of my HR2 project for the GIB to play with.

Interesting thought probably wrong company as already mentioned.

pierre smith said:

Just find a cheap used DYNON. Now that the GRT sport is out, there should.
be many of the original DYNONS on the used market.

sell your the dynon sytem and get a GRT sport?

Get the GRT 2 display setup (3 if you had more real estate) and put one of the displays in the back. The GRT displays are not deep so I know it could be installed in the back of my RV8 easily enough. I'd have to look in a 4 again but it would be tight.

AF-3400MFD

How would this work?

Brian my 13 year old son has been bugging me for an EFIS in the rear seat of our RV-4 for months. Since I never did anything about it he took matters in his own hands one Saturday and here is what he come up with. He took the boards from one of our AF-3400 EFIS units and mounted them parallel with the screen. The ?Prototype? cover will be upgraded from cardstock to Aluminum in the finished product.

AF-3400MFD Ideal for rear seat display. Connect the AF-3400MFD to any AFS EFIS/Engine Monitor or Dynon EFIS and you have a complete second display in a thin package.

Features
SD Card for Data Logging (even from a Dynon)
2 1/4" Depth
4 Serial Ports
1 Ethernet Port

No Orders will be accepted until the first day of the Sun-n-Fun Airshow.

Sincerely,

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems

Something can be done with the Dynon's output to run two screens - Dan Checkoway has a pic somewhere on his site of his Dynon's display doubled onto his laptop screen. Not exactly what you're looking for... but it has kinda been done.

N401RH said:
Brian my 13 year old son has been bugging me for an EFIS in the rear seat of our RV-4 for months.
Rob, you must be proud of the kid.

I don't have your unit in my 6, but likely will in my 8. I'm interested in something for the right-seater that will interface with my D-10. Keep us posted.

2nd monitor

I believe Rob Hickman is working on a 2nd display option for the AFS 3400 and 3500. This would be nice for the rear seat of a -4 or -8. Don't know how far along he is. Probably just working hard to get the main units out. Bill

We have been able to interface to the Dynon D-10, D-100, D-180 for a while now. The RV-12 actually has one of our AF-3500 screens connected to a Dynon D-180. Van's is using our screen to do the data logging for the plane.

All of our new systems can share data using the Ethernet Connection. I have three full time software engineers that do nothing but software. We are working on a number of new features for the systems. Now that my kids will have flight and engine instruments in the back seat apparently they want to see where we are, where we are going, and is it going to be raining. My new software engineer is working on a solution for that :cool:

Sincerly,

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems

Thanks Rob

N401RH said:
We have been able to interface to the Dynon D-10, D-100, D-180 for a while now. The RV-12 actually has one of our AF-3500 screens connected to a Dynon D-180. Van's is using our screen to do the data logging for the plane.

All of our new systems can share data using the Ethernet Connection. I have three full time software engineers that do nothing but software. We are working on a number of new features for the systems. Now that my kids will have flight and engine instruments in the back seat apparently they want to see where we are, where we are going, and is it going to be raining. My new software engineer is working on a solution for that :cool:

Sincerly,

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
Great new. I'll be very interested for a 2nd screen for my rear seater. Bill Dicus

Of course if you've got ethernet its different...

Just wanted to update my comments. I was unaware what interfaces the Dynon unit might have. If it has some sort of ethernet connection to it then that changes a lot. All you need is the backseat display and you could do anything. If that is the case, then I don't understand why Dynon does not provide a second (backseat) display option themselves.

BTW, smart kid. :)

--JCB

The Dynon does not have an Ethernet connection, it is serial. We use Ethernet (Advanced Aviaonics Buss :) ) for our systems to share data. If we are connecting to a Dynon we use one of our serial connections. We also have the FADEC and Chelton interface working and should have the OP EFIS interface before Sun-n-Fun.

Sincerly,

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems