Koven

I'm New Here
pros and cons Celton Flight System

I am really starting to lean toward the Chelton Flight System but haven't completely set my heart on it. I still don't know if it is the right system for me. I was hoping for some information on the pros and cons of the system from owners of the system. Thanks.

Last edited:
Chelton if you can afford it.

I have the Chelton system and I am very happy with it. If you think you might be getting involved with IFR, it is a very good choice. If you fly around mountains much I think you will like it better than most other systems. It is a well-tested system running certified software and very stable. The down side is that it is pricey. I bought my RV used with the system already installed at a considerable discount to what it would have cost me to build it. If I had to pony up the money for a new system on a new build, I am not sure I could.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Flyrod01/VariousWEBPictures/photo#5088748988861860418

Last edited:
Chelton interest

Flyrod,

I am interested in the CFS as well.

I see you have a gns 430. Does this really add anything other than redundancy/backup?

Would the sl30 be sufficient to meet most IFR requirements with the CFS?

Chuck

Back up and second com

Chuck,

The 430 is just backup and a second com. The system is wired so the Chelton or the 430 can run the auto pilot. I really don?t think you would want to fly any IFR with only one com.

You're right, but you can get a much cheaper 2nd com than a 430. I was mainly inquiring if you use the 430 as a backup nav? I guess the negative going without the 430 is the CFS isn't quite 100% gps IFR. Something about the software doesn't support WAAS approaches yet?

thanks for the feedback,

regards,

Chuck

Chuck,

The 430 is just backup and a second com. The system is wired so the Chelton or the 430 can run the auto pilot. I really don?t think you would want to fly any IFR with only one com.

Chuck,

The 430 is just backup and a second com. The system is wired so the Chelton or the 430 can run the auto pilot. I really don’t think you would want to fly any IFR with only one com.

What's wrong with flying IFR with 1 comm? I do it regularly in the northeast in my -7A. I carry a handheld that I can attach to my comm antenna. After receiving your clearance, all you really need to hear is "Cleared for takeoff". After that, if you have a comm failure, you are expected to proceed in accordance with the FARs to your destination.