C-GRVT

Well Known Member
What do people think about the functionality/desirability of a separate dedicated GPS in addition to the EFIS/EMS?
Mission is well equipped setup for VFR flight including cross country, including two axis autopilot. Present (subject to comments and evolution) thought is to have two screens, one screen to display EFIS/EMS and a second screen for a GPS map. Both screens would be located in front of the pilot position. This can be achieved I think in a number of ways:
1. a dual screen EFIS/EMS from one of our very excellent vendors, relying on the built in GPS and map database;
2. a single screen EFIS/EMS plus a separate vendor GPS screen, like the Garmin 696, for example;
3. the dual screen GX3 has now added another alternative to the GPS offerings of an EFIS supplier.
4. a dual screen EFIS/EMS plus a separate GPS screen, (but that seems more than can be reasonably justified by the mission).
One additional consideration is that I am in Canada. Anyone know whether the map software that the EFIS vendors supply has coverage for Canada comparable to what Garmin provides? If not, that would seem a strong factor favouring a Garmin based GPS solution. Advantages, disadvantages, considerations?
Grateful for your thoughts.
Bill Brooks
Ottawa Canada
RV-6A finishing

What do people think about the functionality/desirability of a separate dedicated GPS in addition to the EFIS/EMS?

I liked the idea so much that is how I equipped my panel. I have a GRT Sport with gps that sits on my panel in front of me and a Garmin 496 that is located on the radio stack.

I always have my home airport selected as my go to on my GRT Sport as I am leaving from my home airport. I then will select the airport I am traveling to on my 496. Both are tied into my Trio Autopilot and can be selected by a simple throw of a switch. As I am departing my home airport I like to know my distance from tit as incomming traffic makes their position reports I then know where I am in relation to them while I am tracking to my destination.

2vdivb9.jpg

The GRT EFIS does not supply mapping or weather like they do for the USA.
Roads, lakes and railroads are not there. The weather will not show the metars or tafs in Canada. Otherwise they work great.

VFR...... well you only need one and that should do, however the new Skyview systems and others that have one as part of the system look to be the way to go.

On top of that a G496 is a handy unit with all the Jepp database and XM Weather for those of you how want/have it.

You can't have too many GPS's :D

DB:cool:

Dynon D100 EFIS, D10 EMS, and Garmin 496 is all I've used to take some very long trips. Works great!

I would be perfectly happy for VFR with any of the built-in GPS options. If you was going IFR, I'd add the inevitable 430....

A few days ago I managed a 50 mile cross country VFR flight with just one gps. It is amazing how dependent I have become on these devices.

I have both

I installed an AvMap in the right side of the panel, it is primarily there for my wife's---or other right seaters---entertainment.

In addition, it is hooked to the autopilot through a "GPS main/GPS aux" switch, as a backup input in case the primary goes south.

One additional benefit is that it can be used to scout various items such as alternate airports, tower freqs, time/distance, airspace issues, ETC without having to disturb the settings on the primary built in one on the GRT screens.

SUNP0017.jpg

At last count I have.........6 :eek:

GNS530W
G296 in panel

USB for Tablet PC running JeppView Flight Deck and other maps

GPSIIplus for a backup

The one in the EPIRB ;)

And iPhone 4......with back up EFIS (for the D100&D180):p

The MEL for me IFR = the 530W and the 296 plus a functioning AP.

VFR.......well just the 296 :D

Cylinders

The old saying is: "Whomever who dies with the most Toys, wins."

I prefer: "Whomever has the most Cylinders, wins."

Cars: 18
Planes: 17
Other (mostly lawn care): 6

So for me it's a measly 41 petro-burning cylinders.

I wonder how many petro-burning cylinders there are in the world?

OK, right! Time to go to bed.:p:rolleyes: