Rick_A

Well Known Member
I was thinking about all the cool new features in the latest crop of EFIS displays and was wondering when "synthetic airspace" will be included. Has anyone seen 3-D airspace on an EFIS? What I'm thinking is translucent airspace shown in a synthetic vision display.

I'm feel certain that someone will have this in the future. I'm just wondering how far in the future.

I was thinking about all the cool new features in the latest crop of EFIS displays and was wondering when "synthetic airspace" will be included. Has anyone seen 3-D airspace on an EFIS? What I'm thinking is translucent airspace shown in a synthetic vision display.

I'm feel certain that someone will have this in the future. I'm just wondering how far in the future.

Yes.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

I did see a demo about a year ago of this at the Petaluma Airport (o69) in the pilot shop.
Amazing stuff!!

I hereby solemnly accuse you of intentionally baiting the hook! :D If I were a moderator of the forum, I would ban any replies from you of less than 22 words.:rolleyes:

OK, I'll "bite". "Whazzzup?"

Sorry, I don't want to give away too much (But I'm quite exited about this).
The requested feature (and a whole lot more) are part of a project called MGL168 which (with a bit of luck) should be shown at Osh this year. In a nutshell it is our first hardware upgrade for the Odyssey/Voyager (a plug-in that can be retrofitted to all existing units if so desired).

It roughly doubles the processor performance but much more relevant adds a dedicated graphics processor (GPU) with some real nice capabilities. Offloading all the graphics work (most of it anyway) from the processor means that we have a huge performance boost on that side (with a processor that is double the speed to start with). Most importantly, we have a graphics processor that can handle all the intense tasks of creating alpha blended multiple display layers (that's to create the "transparent" stuff), do most of the drawing on its own, does texture mapping, does video in and out and so on...
This plug-in is the most high tech thingamabob we have so far designed and will push our EFIS's to the next level without breaking the bank (and it proves our promisse of hardware upgradability).

OK, more than 22 words. I should have kept my mouth (keyboard ?) shut.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

lol - is it NVidia, or AMD/ATI?

:D

The new generation GPUs are really quite something. In addition to faster screen draws, they can also be programmed to accelerate CPU functions.

lol - is it NVidia, or AMD/ATI?

:D

The new generation GPUs are really quite something. In addition to faster screen draws, they can also be programmed to accelerate CPU functions.

No.
We don't use PC components or premade CPU boards - we design our own systems from scratch. That way we can tailor them to exact needs (and it also means lower prices).
We are using a GPU from Fujitsu together with the latest and fastest Atmel ARM processor - the AT91SAM9G20.
The system fits on a 5.7" x 2.3" 6 layer fine pitch gold plated PCB made to MIL-Spec and is plug-in compatible with all our systems (but does not fit the Enigma mechanically due to size constaints - so it is only suitable for Voyager and Odyssey (and Explorer when available).

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics