rossdn

I'm New Here
Hi all,
I've been sitting for some months reading all the engine blurbs about 160hp, 180,200 etc. We (me, my partner, and flying mate) brought a partially finished 8 kit last May with an 0-320 included (about 170 hp due to some mod, according to the New Zealand Lycoming guru), which had 2 slick mags and no mechanical pump, as it had been in a helicopter, 170 hours since overhaul.
We previously owned a zenith 701 with a fuel injected Subaru Ea81 100hp, with a phenomenal 67 kt cruise (slightly different mission to the RV) previously and were comfortable with EFI systems, so thought we'd go down this path with the beloved Lycoming.
It's been an interesting trip, it ran for the first time last week and sat at 700 rpm, as smooth as silk. Our system has full redundancy (almost), 2 ecu's, 2 hp pumps, 2 Lp pumps, 2 batteries, all on their own circuit breakers etc, 2 sets of sensors as well. The wiring diagram is fairly comprehensive to say the least, but has been really well done by a pro.
To start it, hot or cold, key on, main pumps (low and high), clear, start. Will keep you up to date when the test flying begins... Hopefully about 2 weeks.. YAY!! (I'm a flyer not a builder- had a builder working on it

Cheers

Ross

Ross,

Looking forward to hearing how your test flying goes!

What injectors did you use? How are they protected from heat? What ECU's did you use?

Most electronic fuel injectors are plastic AFAIK, which seems like it could be problematic when put next to our 400deg cylinder heads. I don't believe automotive engines get quite as hot so if your using automotive fuel injectors you might need to shield them from heat. flyefii.com has a pretty interesting setup.