Jerry Cochran

Well Known Member
Folks,

Many of us list our for sale aircraft on Barnstormers http://www.barnstormers.com/ As an amateur photog I see lots of room for improvement in the use of pix in the ads. Same holds true for pix here...

Some advice FWIW...

1) Use all 5 possible pix. Why skimp? the range is form zero to 5 pix after all... The ones I see with NO pix I just skip over as I have no time to call them and ask
for same, besides it makes me think they have something to hide...

2) Don't waste your pix on 5 outside views, ONE is plenty.

3) Try to FOCUS the camera. If you don't know how, get someone who does as the pix are the MOST IMPORTANT part of your ad.

4) Here is what prospective buyers want and need from the 5 available pix:
a) One good pic of the exterior preferably taken 45 degrees from the front showing from propeller to tail inclusive. Wings not so much. Sun behind your back..
b) One showing seats/ upholstery, might need flash.
c) One showing engine compartment with cowling OFF (I know that's a pain) taken from side. Sun behind your back.
e) One showing entire panel but TWO if necessary for coverage. Might need flash.
f) One showing prop tip closeup if possible.

5) Point and shoot cams are easy to use, but if you don't have one, go to the local store and buy a Kodak ready-to-shoot. They are cheap, work very well and, well,,, Cheap

Probably some pro photogs on VAF so pls weigh in if you have some thoughts...

As always, YMMV

Last edited:
4 a - if it's a taildragger, try to find a direction that actually shows the aircraft. The side is great.

4 f - prop tip??? Better off showing anything that's unique or appealing about your plane.