Flyrod

Well Known Member
I had GG up doing 75% speed trails the other day and was feeling pretty satisfied with 181 knt (208 mph) TAS at 9,000 DA. I programed in four way points to make a box with about 8 mile legs and let the 55X do the driving. I monitored engine data and air speed data while taking notes. It was an 80+ day and my temps were good, so the whole endeavor was a pleasant confirmation of GG's abilities.

Upon completion of the speed boxes, I decided to fly over my place on the coast and make sure the fishing boat was still in the yard. This area is a blast to fly around in the Searey, but not a comfortable situation in a plane that can only make one, not so good, water landing. I buzzed the house at 1200' (the boat was still there) and the pulled a two G turn back towards A grass strip about 5 miles away.

You know how they say you always think the engine runs rougher over water? Well, all the sudden my engine was running rough when I began feeding her fuel again! The problem was this was not something that was debatable or a part of an active imagination, she was stumbling! :eek:

I fly my Searey into the 3,000' grass strip all the time when in this part of the world, but have avoided bringing in GG because it is a little bit rough and I have had visions of getting a big crack in my close fitting wheel pants. Wheel pants or not, were going into the grass strip and now -hopefully! She would run smooth at MP 12 and about 6.2 GPH, but wanted to stumble if pushed above that level. I didn't push her, and just brought her in for a uneventful landing at 39FD.

After checking the plane over and making sure there were no fluids leaking or no obvious problems, I sat there and thought about it. I reasoned it must be an ignition problem and most likely the electronic side with such a difference. I tested and found she would run at full power after passing through the stumble area. So, I headed home and downloaded the flight data files and analyzed it with EGview.

ExhtData.jpg

Normally the #3 EGT (gray) runs in step between #2 and #4, but it was obvious #3 was deviating higher during the times I was experiencing the stumbles. According to the data, #3 was the starting point. After removing the cowlings, I pulled the lower (Electronic) plug on #3.........Bingo!

IMG_2299.jpg

I recently replaced the leads on the electronic system and apparently had the end of this spring connector looping back towards the lead skin. It took it about 6 hours of flight time to break through and short out the plug. Without the help of recorded flight data, It might have taken a while to figure this one out.

Impressive analysis

Very cool - I believe you could sell your story to the engine monitor manufacturer to use in their marketing literature!

Stumbling

I'm having trouble understanding this. I've never flown EI before, but with just one plug shorted you get a stumble?

I guess "a stumble" is a relative term. To me "stumbling" means that the engine is pretty rough and and maybe has a cough.

Maybe what you were feeling wasn't as bad as I get the impression it was.

What you describe sounds like the other plug in #3 wasn't firing correctly either.

I think the engine should take throttle without stumbling on one mag.

I'm just trying to understand it.

The graphs with EGview are really nice!

Mark

Last edited:
Stumble

That it was EI was not the point. It appears that the plug wire was shorting (arcing?) to ground before it could fire the spark plug.

Relative stumbleness

Mark,

In hind sight, it was not really that rough and if I had just pushed it through (which I found out during ground testing) the stumble area it would have ran fine with some small amount of surging. Up until this time, I have been use to nothing less than silky smooth engine operation during powered flight. Thus my threshold for engine roughness was pretty tight.

When you run a combination Mag/EI system, you soon notice that the EI system is doing all the work. The Mag was running fine and doing the best it could physically do, but it was so far out gunned by the other three working EIs that it does produce significant drag on the system.

The stumble area was more pronounced because this is where the FI system transfers from the idle mixture valve control to the Air Mass/jet Controller. I have my idle set fairly lean due to the heat and high DAs here in Florida. My engine will stumble a small amount in this area anyway because of my lean idle setting, so with #3 running at about 30% (relative to the other three) she could stumble fairly good until the AMC kicked in. Hope this helps clear it up some.

Are you running aircraft plugs on the EI?

Not sure about what pmag/emag recommends but lightspeed defintately recommends against running standard aircraft plugs with their ignition due to the much higher voltages which can cause arcing on aircraft style plugs.

Aircraft recomended on Electroair

Walt,

They recommend aircraft plugs on the Electroair system. They have never been a problem, unless you do something stupid like push the spring connector through the skin of the lead wire :D I thought about going auto gear, but decided to stick with the recommended plugs. I do like having the connections threaded on. I had one of the push-on type come off on my Rotax once.

Walt said:
Not sure about what pmag/emag recommends but lightspeed defintately recommends against running standard aircraft plugs with their ignition due to the much higher voltages which can cause arcing on aircraft style plugs.
FYI - Emag Air recommends either aircraft or auto plugs, your choice. It all depends on which harness you purchase from them.

Cool find on the EMS. I sure hope I can feel such things when I start flying.

OK

Flyrod said:
Mark,

In hind sight, it was not really that rough and if I had just pushed it through (which I found out during ground testing) the stumble area it would have ran fine The stumble area was more pronounced because this is where the FI system transfers from the idle mixture valve control to the Air Mass/jet Controller. I have my idle set fairly lean due to the heat and high DAs here in Florida. My engine will stumble a small amount in this area anyway because of my lean idle setting, so with #3 running at about 30% (relative to the other three) she could stumble fairly good until the AMC kicked in. Hope this helps clear it up some.

Ok,
Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like you definately understand your system!
Mark

Rough running engine checklist

In this case, if the EI had been selected OFF, the engine should have run smoothly on the mag. It is useful to have a specific rough running engine checklist, with one of the items to select each ignition OFF to see if that solves the problem. If the engine still runs rough, select that ignition back ON, and select the other one OFF.

The checklist would also have items such as Alternate Air (or Carb Heat) ON, Mixture Rich (or leaner, if already rich), change fuel tanks, etc.