prkaye

Well Known Member
I've been putting in some time in the simulator to finish up my night rating. I must say I love instrument flying, and really want to continue learning about it (I also love that I can practice for free at home on MS Flight Simulator X!). I want to work towards my IFR rating eventually.

As I was fumbling around trying to fold my chart, it occurred to me that this would be a great application for Tablet PCs. Load all your charts in high resolution in there, with a nice application to allow you to "scroll" the map around as you fly. Maybe an interface to draw track lines with the tablet stylus, display approach plates and other useful things...

I discovered that there are "electronic flight bags" (EFB) that do exactlly this. For my money, though, I'd rather buy a general purpose tablet PC, and get some software to do all the EFB stuff (so then I can use the tablet for other things as well).

Question - "Chartcase" is an example of a Windows application geared towards tablet PCs, that provides EFB functionality. However, like many products, it only seems to have U.S. charts. Does anybody know of similar software that has all the Canadian charts?

Last edited:
Phil:
Advanced Data Reasearch is a major player in the electronic flight book game. They're located in Rochester Michigan and utilize table computers loaded with a number of aviation software packages. If you utilize a Jepp subscription, you can get full coverage, inclusive Canada, and not have to do the monthly tearouts in the six or eight binders that this same coverage would require. More importantly, saves space and weight and as you suggested, the computer can be used for much more. Additionally, if you are concerned about system failure/backup, you can load the same software into a PDA and/or rely on ATC as they are required to have approach plates available at all times. ADR also supplies kneeboards to mount the tablets.
You can search ADR at:
www.adrsoft.com
Finally, good choice on the 9, you'll find it makes an outstanding instrument platform.
Terry
N323TP
RV-9A

Thanks Terry, just looking at their website and it does look like a nice product. Do you know if they sell the software only, if someone already owns a tablet, or wants to get the tablet seperately? Their website doesn't seem to indicated that as an option.

Phil:
You can go directly to Jeppesen at:
www.jeppesen.com
In addition, there are a number of other suppliers who ulitlze charts and procedures in NOS format. These tend to be less expensive as they are generated by the government. If you page thru the ADR site, you will see that they refer to modifications made to the operating system to enhance use of the aviation products. They're selling the system, rather than software. I have no direct experience with ADR but talked with them at a recent Aviation Maint expo in Michigan. I'm also looking at a system called eflybook
www.eflybook.com
which utilizes a reader rather than a computer. This firm has a very open forum with some candid critiques of their product. This product is much less expensive but does not offer the ability to integrate GPS and weather. While I'm sitting on the fence, I continue to use the old paper system.