RV6_flyer

Well Known Member
Benefactor
I know that a lot of us are using iPads (and other devices) for EFB in out airplanes. How many of you have a Statement of Compliance in your airplane or on your device?

254283_10150219744466506_50706151505_7336362_1469338_n.jpg

At the present time, I do not have one and am thinking that I and everyone that uses one of these devices should. Comments.

The above image is from Sporty's Pilot shop. I found the link to it on the ForeFlight web site.

I am also wondering if everyone has copies of all the ACs and other FAA documents for use of the iPad or other EFB in our aircraft on their device or on their computer at home.

It's here

Gary, I don't want to open another hornet's nest since it is AC 91-78 that gives us this permission, a copy is in my files. The Feds have allowed it and I'd rather not have to carry another piece of paper in my cockpit.

Best,

It appears to be an IFR requirement only.

The AC references this FAR, and the sticky label is just documentation that you checked it out per (5) below...:)

Sec. 91.21

Portable electronic devices.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person may operate, nor may any operator or pilot in command of an aircraft allow the operation of, any portable electronic device on any of the following U.S.-registered civil aircraft:
(1) Aircraft operated by a holder of an air carrier operating certificate or an operating certificate; or
(2) Any other aircraft while it is operated under IFR.
(b) Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to--
(1) Portable voice recorders;
(2) Hearing aids;
(3) Heart pacemakers;
(4) Electric shavers; or
(5) Any other portable electronic device that the operator of the aircraft has determined will not cause interference with the navigation or communication system of the aircraft on which it is to be used.
(c) In the case of an aircraft operated by a holder of an air carrier operating certificate or an operating certificate, the determination required by paragraph (b)(5) of this section shall be made by that operator of the aircraft on which the particular device is to be used. In the case of other
aircraft, the determination may be made by the pilot in command or other operator of the aircraft.