txaviator

Well Known Member
I did perform a search for SPOT trackers, but the info was all over the map. I also went to the SPOT website but I am still a bit confused (there are multiple models and/or options).

I have a pretty basic question about them that I was hoping someone could help with?

I am planning a long cross-country from upstate NY back to DFW. Which SPOT tracker do I need for folks to be able to follow my progress, and which options (subscription?) do I need to purchase to allow for tracking on an online map, etc?

I am thinking along the lines of what Rosie and others have used, to where they provide a simple link, and we all get to sit at our computers and track their every movement, all while wishing we were along on the flight :D

Any input ladies and gentlemen? THANK YOU!

I did perform a search for SPOT trackers, but the info was all over the map. I also went to the SPOT website but I am still a bit confused (there are multiple models and/or options).

I have a pretty basic question about them that I was hoping someone could help with?

I am planning a long cross-country from upstate NY back to DFW. Which SPOT tracker do I need for folks to be able to follow my progress, and which options (subscription?) do I need to purchase to allow for tracking on an online map, etc?

I am thinking along the lines of what Rosie and others have used, to where they provide a simple link, and we all get to sit at our computers and track their every movement, all while wishing we were along on the flight :D

Any input ladies and gentlemen? THANK YOU!

I had a Spot 2 and it would track my progress and put it on a web page every 10 minutes. I could also send short predetermined messages. I see these are available now for $75 from Amazon now. I'm guessing the Spot 3 will do more - at twice the price it should. FWIW, Spot Tracker automatically billed my CC after my initial subscription ran out. I NEVER do auto renewals and they also charged extra for some sort of emergency service that I had previously declined. My advice is be very careful with what subscription you order through them and check your billing. It may have been an honest mistake but they never once apologized for any error. Shortly after that I sold my Spot.

I think just any unit and plan will do what you want

I have a 2nd gen "SPOT 2" and a basic subscription, and it does all the things you note. I love it. I think it is the perfect blend of features, simplicity, and value.

The main difference between the 1st and 2nd gen units is a slight reduction in size, and the buttons are a bit different, I think the guarding feature to prevent inadvertent SOS was added.

I can't remember for sure if the web sharing is included in the basic subscription or is an option, but I don't remember selecting any options, I think I just signed up for what was then the basic subscription.

All the buttons have programmable messages that you set up on the website, and designate who gets them. The tracking button sends out position every 10 minutes, and you can make the link to that info public, so anyone can watch where you are.

The "I'm OK" button goes to one list of 10 emails and/or cell numbers.

The "message" button I use for glider flying and it is programmed with a message that basically says I landed out, come get me. It goes to a slightly different list of recipients.

The "I need help" button says, "not life threatening, but I do really need help" and it goes to the same group as my landout crew.

Then, of course the SOS button goes to the authorities that SPOT deems appropriate.

I have not kept up with newer product developments and/or subscription features, but that's how I use it. I'm pretty sure any of the SPOT models will do it, and when you sign up for your subscription, you can decide on options.

Hope that helps.

Ditto to all of the previous.... I had the Spot and just upgraded to the 3 for the faster rate. If you click on the spot link in my signature you will see my trip earlier this week and you can see the faster drop rate on the crumbs. Instead of one every ten minutes this is one ever 3 minutes. Better for RV speeds. I think you will like either one for what you are looking for.

spot

I have owned a few of these units...
Spot one and two kind of "spotty" to say the least.

Spot 3 is great. Shop around, you can find it on sale for around $75 to $125, some include unlimited tracking year for a year.

Why spot three? Lays down tracks every 5 minutes. Battery lasts WAY longer and the best part... it has motion sensor. Leave it in plane and it auto turns on and tracks when you fly, and then auto goes to sleep. Awesome feature. I have actually used it for other situations (left in a back hoe of mine on a job site) if it moves, I get an email and an exact track. Very cool feature. Further, I am in a large WW2 hangar. I get an email every once in a while, go buy the hangar and sure enough someone had to move my plane around a bit. Nice to have an "asset tracker" like that as an added freebie.

You do want the basic package and upgrade to the unlimited tracking feature. That is all I pay for. I lend it to other pilots all the time. We all love watching each others travel on line. Buddy borrowed it last year, took to sw US. Left it on all the time I would email him and could zoom in and see where he was eating lunch or hotel he was staying at. Fun while I was stuck at work. Again Spot three is night and day better than 1 and 2 versions.

lots of opinions, so one more.....

I think this could be its own thread/category!

I had a spot 1, cost me $150, which had the $100 a year basic subscription, which allows you to............
press the
- 'OK' button, sending a canned message to your list of contacts. Press as often as you like, and it places a 'pin' on your virtual map, viewable by your contacts with time & location.
- 'HELP' button, sending same thing, but with the canned message you've written for it, to a different list, as others have noted. Never done it, but assume you could do this more than once.
- 'SOS' button, which sends a message to the SPOT service provided, who then forwards to SAR in your area, at which point, the details are a bit sketchy, as far a who and when exactly.
Unit has lithium replaceable AA batteries....seemed to last quite a few flights, (years for me) basically turn on and off as needed.
If you wanted tracking, it was an extra $50, but gave only 10 minute intervals, which could extend to more like 15 or 20 if the unit did not hit a satelite to uplink before the next one was due. Not so useful for short flights.

Spot 2, smaller form factor, button guards, supposedly slightly better success rate at getting message out to the satellites. Switched to AAA batteries I think? Pretty much the same. I skipped this one, as little benefit for another $150.

Spot 3, now $160, on sale some places for $125 or so. You are forced to adopt their new 'basic' service for $150 a year, giving you all the same features, including 10-minute tracking, as far as I can see.
'Extreme' is another $50, giving you 5 minute intervals between track points.
'Unlimited' is another $100?.....allowing 2 1/2 minute intervals which would be swell, but not unless I'm heading to Inuvik or something.
The feature to power it from a 5V USB plug is great, or uses 3 AAA batteries, which I hate, as I have AA in a dozen other things in the plane!
and motion sensing feature is very nice to have.
plus you get one more button that sends a message, for a total of 3 canned messages; OK, HELP and 'custom'.

I looked quite a bit at the deLorme InReach....again, confusing, you gotta really look at what you want it to do for you.

..and then spend $1000 on a 406 ELT anyway????? ( let's not start that shall we????):)

Last edited:
SPOT 2

I hang the Spot 2 from a little carabiner on the canopy handle in my 9A.
Have the cheapest subscription. Reach up anytime I want and push the button. Wife gets an email... she feels better. Msg. gets through in seconds. Lithium AAA have been in there a loooong time. Not really for search and rescue... just a feel good thing.
The 406 pocket size beacon is for the real thing. 406 in the fuselage probably wouldn't go off (in my experience with G switches) but at that point it would only be wreckage to look for anyway. Have fun out there.

Fantastic replies and information! Thanks for ALL of your input! Your replies have really shed some good light on the various models and their features. Many thanks to all of you.