Vlad

Well Known Member
There are several brands of governors. Vans offers MT, lots of builders favor PSU and some recommend Hartzell. What was your choice variable pitchers? I fly a fixed pitch RV and I am building an 8 with a Hartzell constant speed. Never had a governor :)

Vladanator, I can't tell you the pros and cons about which to choose. My kit came with an MT PROP govenor. I have a Blended Airfoil Constant Speed Hartzell.

Van's always shipped MT governors with the FWF kits then finally switched to Hartzell governors, at least for a while. I'm working on a plane with an MT prop now with a Hartzell governor and all do the Hartzell props had MT governors. It really doesn't matter which governor you use. Just make sure it will work with your engine and setup right for the prop you are using.

Operationally there is probably little difference. Blue knob out, RPM goes down. Same for every CS plane I have flown. There were a range of pumps.

There IS a difference in fitting Vans cable bracket to the gov. I cannot give clear guidance. I have an MT. Bracket needed slight tweaking. Others have had more trouble. Its not clear that my gov is like what is delivered today.

http://www.propellergovernor.com/how-it-works/

This is a pretty good explanation of how they work. What is not shown is that the governor just opens and/or closes off oil pressure to the prop based on rpm of the governor. A simple spool inside the hosing, balanced by spring and centrifugal forces.

I ended up with a Hartzell as the MT's were not in stock from Vans when I ordered. Both MT and Hartzell have good documentation here for how to rotate the plate, and rotate the lever properly, not a big job.

In the way of perspective, I needed ( solo builder) to rotate my prop and made a plate to pressurize the prop to advance the pitch with air pressure. It only took about 30 psi. Not as much as I thought, that might change with aero/dynamic forces.

Vlad, it looks like you're going to modify your bird! I have on my Titan engine MT governor and Hartzell prop. They work perfect. The maximum speed I set 2650rpm.

Vlad,
I have experience with MT, ( surging problems, eventually mostly fixed after multiple returns, with skeptical dealer support).

PCU 5000 ( Vans bracket needed minor elongation of attach holes to make fit, also needed longer studs in accessory case) flawless operation.

Hartzell ( replaced PSU 5000 due to sponsorship commitment)
This gov. Works flawlessly, the Vans bracket fit without modification and was easier to clock due to the use of screws with lock washers instead of drilled screws and safety wire. Only issue is, it could use a slightly longer control arm, which I have made Hartzell aware of.

Good luck

Last edited:
Bill, Jon,
Thanks. I have been watching an MT device on a known aircraft and all problems the owner had with it so I am kind of leaning to other brands.

Brian, did you get your PCU 5000 through my group buy back in the day?

They are awesome guvs, eh?

Vlad, I told you to look into them!

:cool: CJ

A little more analysis.
1. The Hartzell S series governors have a bench tested ~30% more pumping capacity against the competitors. This reduces RPM surging and hunting, which typically occurs in hot conditions.
2. Designed and manufactured in the US.
3. Supporters of the RV community to include this site and our team.
4. Top shelf customer service you read about here on this site often.
5. 1000hr 1yr warranty.
6. 2400hr TBO
7. Lightest governor offered by Hartzell – 2.9 lbs
8. 60 years of governor experience.
9. Did I mention they support this site and our team?

You should take the time to review the competitive analysis, and when able, you should support those companies that are here supporting you. Buy a Hartzell.

Last edited:
Only issue is, it could use a slightly longer control arm, which I have made Hartzell aware of.

For RV-10s, you need to get the longer arm. If I remember correctly, it was about $30 and you can get it direct from Hartzell.

I did have to adjust the RPMs a bit (50 RPMs), but there is a stop bolt and adjusting it isn't a big deal.

Les and crew have always provided get support to me. Les even offered to stop by the hanger after work and I'm about an hour away. You can't ask for better support.

A little more analysis.
1. The Hartzell S series governors have a bench tested ~30% more pumping capacity against the competitors. This reduces RPM surging and hunting, which typically occurs in hot conditions.
2. Designed and manufactured in the US.
3. Supporters of the RV community to include this site and our team.
4. Top shelf customer service you read about here on this site often.
5. 1000hr 1yr warranty.
6. 2400hr TBO
7. Lightest governor offered by Hartzell ? 2.9 lbs
8. 60 years of governor experience.
9. Did I mention they support this site and our team?

You should take the time to review the competitive analysis, and when able, you should support those companies that are here supporting you. Buy a Hartzell.

Decision has been made thanks Kahuna for great analysis :)

And I did in fact get it in the group buy several years ago. It always worked perfect.

Pay it forward..

Wow, Cool!

That was a GREAT group buy!

I am glad I did it. Bob Hoenig treated us well!

Those group buys were ALOTTA FUN!

I really enjoyed doing them for everyone!

We got some good deals but most of all, I had a chance to talk to and meet so many of the group personally.

:) CJ

A little more analysis.

Kahuna, does this translate directly into 30% faster response?
I have a pcu5000 and whirlwind 200RV. Due to the very light prop the governor is slow to govern and it is very easy to overspeed on takeoff. I haven't called yet to see if there is any way to improve response, but I doubt it.

I have a pcu5000 and whirlwind 200RV. Due to the very light prop the governor is slow to govern and it is very easy to overspeed on takeoff. I haven't called yet to see if there is any way to improve response, but I doubt it.

Ill check with the experts and report back. Dont want to be talking out of my .... , well you know..

Why do you attribute a slow response and tendency to overspeed on the prop being light? Not bashing you, just hadn't heard of that link before and it's certainly not true for me. I have the 200RV and an MT governor.

Regards
Erich

Last edited:

When I got my WW200RV they were recommending the Jihostroj governor, I believe due to needing higher pressure. I don't get overspeeding.

Fine pitch stops

Jim

Over speeding on takeoff means that the fine pitch stops haven't been adjusted.
If you adjust the static rpm to 2650 then you won't get any over speeding. Once you start the roll the prop will pick up to 2700.
I know all the hartzell props I have setup needed coarsening.
Not sure if your WW prop came with a manual but the hartzell manual explains the procedure.

Peter

Brian, did you get your PCU 5000 through my group buy back in the day?

They are awesome guvs, eh?

Vlad, I told you to look into them!

I got my PCU 5000 in the group buy back in 07 or 08. Over five years and more than 700 hours of flawless operation. (MT propeller)

From the Hartzell governor buzzhead...
From the information provided it doesn?t sound like a governor issue assuming the RPM control is stable throughout the remainder of the flight. Simply put, it sounds like the propeller low pitch stop is low and needs adjusted higher. I would recommend that the pilot review the propeller owner?s manual or contact Whirlwind for the information.

As for the 30% faster response, a higher pump capacity should reduce amplitude of transient events but I don?t think it would be needed in this case.

Thanks,
Kyle

Mikey, THAT'S RIGHT!

I forgot you were in on that one!

Weren't you in on my Hooker Harness buy too?

:confused: CJ

Naaa, I think I missed that one....I got my Hookers elsewhere. I was in on the Governor and ICOM group buys you used to put together back in the day.

Oh, those were the days!

Too bad we really haven't had many group buys since then. I know, there have been a few. They just weren't worth it, I thought.

Are you liking that ICOM 210?

I need a Garmin 650 now. THAT would be a great group buy!!!

Thanks for the replies. I guess I need to talk to WW.
I can't believe the increase in list price for the 200RV. Our group buy really was a great deal.