sblack

Well Known Member
I am doing the aft turtle deck on my -4. I want to break the edges with an edge rolling tool so that they will lie down flat along the upper longerons. My question is, how far from the center of the rivet line should the fold line be? The width of the fold line is built into the tool. The edge distance is not really indicated on the drawings, or I just can't find it, but judging from the other skins it is about 3/8". If I trim the panel to 3/8" from the rivet line I get the fold line right on the edge of the rivet holes. Is this ok? I would expect that there is a standard for this, any advice appreciated.

Don't know if there's a 'standard' distance, but I'd want it to be a bit outside the rivet line. FWIW, you can adjust the distance on some tools by inserting a shim between the rollers & the frame of the tool to move the edge away from the frame. Even if your rollers are 3/8" wide, you could still do it with a C shaped guide clamped to the back of the frame.

I actually made one using delrin tired patio door rollers, ~1/4" wide. A little clunky, but it did work.

Charlie