aarvig

Well Known Member
So I am working on my left elevator (RV-9A) building the gusset (cuss-it...as Smitty calls it :D) that goes between the trim spar and the root rib. I made one part and snarfed it up. Made a second one and made it to small. Made a third and JACKPOT! Looks good. So I drill the initial hole (#30 final size) at 1/4 in and 1/4 up. Comes out perfect. I cleco it into the trim spar and match drill through the root rib into the cuss-it. All holes drill nicely. But drat the edge distance for the 470's is perfect on the trim spar side but on the root rib side I am about 1/32nd shy of the mark. Should I remake the flappin part or leave it and build on? Thanks in advance.

aarvig, if I well remember, that rivets should be AD4, which are 4/32'' diameter.

Thus means that the distance from the edge is:
- 8/32'' from the center of the hole or (i.e.: X2 diameter);
- 6/32'' edge (of the hole) to edge (of the skin) (i.e.: X1,5 diameter).

Maybe 4/32'' distance will be OK. But I will try to comply to the said rule for the rest of the airplane.

Trick: when drilling, drill at low speed. Drilling at high speed has a gyro effect which tend to deviate from the intended optimal hole position previously marked.

Sorry: I misread aarvig message. He said 1/4'' which is 8/32'' and not 4/32''. He is 7/32'', so this should be OK.

Last edited:
rivet edge distance

G.day ...Aarvig...consult the milspec...re edge distance ..non flush rivets...visible edge etc...seems like yu ok to me!....rgds stanman ..RV8