Ted Farmin

Well Known Member
Asking for ideas as best way to break the edges on the tail cone edges. How far from edge and distance from rivet holes? what did you use to do this?

Sonerai 2 1976
RV-4 2007 440 hrs
cfi sel, sea, g, private heli.

Ted,

There is lots of advice in the forum on this topic. Go to "Advanced Search" and search on "edge breaking" - in quotes. You will get about 45 threads. Many of them relavent to your question.

I ordered the Cleaveland tool. Works good, but be sure to practice on some scrap. Multiple light passes work best.

John

Edge breaking

I used the disk breaker-- multiple passes. The break line is right in the center of the rivet holes which keeps you from getting an even smooth break. Riveting the piece does take out most of the waviness, but due to the location of the break line you'll have to touch drill many of the holes to get the rivets in place.

Wayne 120241

Get the Cleveland tool. It is the easiest to use and your breaks are perfect everytime. Nothing else comes close.

I used the Cleveland tool. The posts about not twisting it as I pulled helped a lot.

I saw someone post that they didn't break the edges at all. So I clecoed the entire tail cone and noticed that not all of the edges needed breaking. I did the aft half of both sides of the top skin. I also did the aft half of the lower edges of the F-1208 skins.