jthocker

Well Known Member
After building my 3rd RV (2- 4's, and now a 6A) I've come up with the best way to outfit it. With all the RV's out there now, eventually you will wind up meeting up with other RVers. You will go places together, someone will have formation experience and suggest going to a clinic(good idea). You will find that formation flying with your buddies in RV's is the most challenging, rewarding and fun flying you have ever done. So my point is, I have equipped my 6 as good as the airliner I fly (autopilot,FMS,TCAS,XM Weather)and I now realize I don't need any of it. When you start flying formation you will be the least experienced guy. So someone else will be leading you whereever you are going,(no need for GPS or nav stuff), no need for a transponder (someone else squawks for entire flight), no need for strobes (somebody else flashes for the flight), no need for any flight instruments (you just watch lead, and the other guy's). So here is how I'll outfit my next RV.

RV4- no more looking cross cockpit and no canopy bow to look thru

160hp fixed pitch- the formation has to fly to allow for the slowest guy
(why a formation leader needs an F1 Rocket is beyond me)

Avionics- comm (so you can say "3", and "gimme some")

AOA gauge- (so you can land after the break)

Engine gauges- Grand Rapids EIS (for the big Red Warning light)

Thats it! Thats all you'll ever need, no need for all the fancy stuff.

Build it!

Build it simple!

Get it in the Air!

Then just follow Lead!

Jon

Love it

Could not have said it better myself. Except that if your gonna lead you might need the gee whiz features your wingman will come to love.