I'm ready to paint parts prior to engine assembly, and was wondering if anyone has tried to match the color of ECI cylinders? I had assumed it was Lycoming gray, but when I set the factory painted Lycoming cylinders that were removed from my engine next to the factory painted ECI cylinders that are going on the engine, they are two different colors. I don't want to put a second coat of paint on the cylinders, so would prefer to match the ECI paint. Any thoughts, or suggestions? LOGAN

Plane color

I painted my ECI red to match the main color or my airframe, Viper Red. I used polyurathane. I left the cylinders the dark grey. Looks great. I figured if I was going to spend 8-10 hours masking off the engine pieces, there was no way I was going to paint it grey!!! (Maybe you can sense I don't like grey).

Step out of the box and go for some color :)

an exact match shouldnt be too hard, talk to your local paint supplier most of them either have the electronic paint reader, or a color map. The color map has just about every shade of color that can be made with the brands toners. I have painted engines with base clea and singlestage urethanes. The look great, and hold up very well. Like with painting anything tho, the prep is the most important step.
my local PPG supplier has been really good at matching powder coat colors. I have also had good luck with tinting Jetglo myself. stick with brands you have heard of, and dont be afraid to tell the paint house, that the color doesnt match. if you dont think it is close in the store, it will be way off when you get home... make them spray it out before you buy it, thats the best way to see exactly how the color looks.
Good Luck
:cool:

Is there any concern about adding a layer of paint to the cylinder fins and decreasing the heat flow?

hmmmm, well i dont know much about heat flow. I do know that based on what the temp gauges on those different engines i painted, The was no noticable increase of heat. but dont most cylinders and cases come painted?

Paint color matching

Call ECI and tell them you are an experimental aircrafter that wants to match their paint. They probably have a paint code or can refer you to the actual paint product. I would be surprised if they decline to assist you.

Paint Found

Called "AERO", and they had Superflite Lcoming gray. It was a perfect match. Thanks for all the replies. LOGAN