bgaston

Well Known Member
I'm currently flying an RV-9A with a TMX-0320 engine.
I have 320 hrs. on the engine since new. My cylinders are in the "group A" of the AD issued by the FAA. Could someone give me some insight into why the
" Mandatory Service Bulletin" only applies to engines on experimental aircraft???

I'm currently flying an RV-9A with a TMX-0320 engine.
I have 320 hrs. on the engine since new. My cylinders are in the "group A" of the AD issued by the FAA. Could someone give me some insight into why the
" Mandatory Service Bulletin" only applies to engines on experimental aircraft???

Probably because the TMX O-320 is an experimental engine and cannot be used on a "Standard" certificated aircraft.

Maybe because the FAA hasn't approved the repair process called out in the bulletin, to do away with the AD note requirements, for certified engines yet.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

I was wondering too!

I am in group B. My ECI cylinders are boxed up ready to go back to ECI for this service bulletin "fix." The ECI rep. Joe Trampota, advised me this was my only option. Had these cylinders been in a certified aircraft they would have to be replaced. So it is very possible the "fix" has not been approved for certified aircraft. I will be interested to see what my final outcome is. The cylinders have been working fine, no indications of leaks or cracks, and they had only 220 hrs. on a TOH. What a pain :mad: but the "fix" will be at no cost to me other than shipping the cylinders back.

Pat Claar
[email protected]
303-940-3530

Last edited: