apkp777

Well Known Member
Hey all, anyone that build an ECI kit themselves. Did you have to remove the crank outer plug to punch a hole in the inner plug?

CRANK PLUG

I don't know of any other way. Be very careful not to damage the small tube in front of the rear plug.

Jesse from AERO told me that they would leave the "inner plug" out completely for a fixed pitch installation and if it was for a CS setup, they would install the inner and leave the outer out.

My issue is, I have the outer plug but don't know if the inner has the hole punched or not. I don't want to remove the prop if I don't have to, just not sure if its necessary.

My inner plug was punched out (thankfully)...I had to remove the outer one and replace it to find out, though! :rolleyes:

My issue is, I have the outer plug but don't know if the inner has the hole punched or not. I don't want to remove the prop if I don't have to, just not sure if its necessary.

How about rigging some way to inject oil through the port on the front side of
engine that the governor line goes to. If you can keep injecting oil and it goes into the sump instead of pressurizing the crankshaft, the rear plug is either not installed or has a hole in it?

engine that the governor line goes to. If you can keep injecting oil and it goes into the sump instead of pressurizing the crankshaft, the rear plug is either not installed or has a hole in it?

Now that is a great idea! The question is will that work. I certainly can rig up a fitting and an oil can. However, I don't know what it looks like inside. I image the hole in the inner plug allows oil to come through the crank and out the hole on the RH case nose and into the prop line. Are there any more ports inside? Seems like there would not be.

I wonder if a boroscope (I have access to one) would see the inner plug from that hole?

The front bearing is fed through more than one oil port. Even if the rear plug was in place and not punched/drilled, I think the oil would make it's way into the pan... although not near as fast as if the plug were removed or drilled.

The front bearing is fed through more than one oil port. Even if the rear plug was in place and not punched/drilled, I think the oil would make it's way into the pan... although not near as fast as if the plug were removed or drilled.

I think it would be inconclusive if I pumped oil into the prop line fitting port.

It's not that big of a deal to pull the prop and extension off. I have my airworthiness inspection in a week. There is just other things I prefer to be doing.