cawmd82

Well Known Member
I am about to the point of ordering my engine and prop. Likely it will be an IO360 of some ilk---probably ECI. In sorting through the current options seems like the "new" ECI--Continental style injection system offers some interesting claims. Anyone flying one or have experience with this?

Working great

Contact Robbie Attaway at 602-538-6087. He is an ECI rep and is flying the new system on his RV6. He will give you the straight scoop. He is also flying the new cold air sump. He will also give you a great price on the ECI line.

I have the Precision system on my ECI IO360 and it is working great. I'm very happy with the performance of this engine. Lots of power, smooth and very little oil burn.

Make sure you post the results of your conversation - I'd be interested to hear, too!

Thomas
-8 wings

Doc, I am interested in hearing what you learn as well! The ECi claims are pretty impressive and I went to the extra effort to install the vapor return lines as outlined in their documentation.

:) CJ

OK --- I talked to Robbie.....

Unlike others, I have followed the hallowed guidance of the posters and called Robbie---without months of delay----

Summary: For those that do not know Robbie, he is a supremely nice guy, easy to talk to, and willing to share all manner of experienced insight into aviation matters and anything else that comes up. He is an America West pilot and ECI rep as well as an engine builder and authority on RVs in general.

He is currently running the new ECI injection system/cold air induction on his ECI IO 360 RV6 with 10:1 pistons and dual lightspeed ignition and a 2 blade Aero Composites prop.

I talked to Robbie for about an hour and came away with the following:

1. He is very happy with the engine, injection system and the prop. He is convinced all of the above have contributed to unspecified but definitive incremental performance and smoothness improvements; both in climb and cruise.

2. While the cold air system is logical and design rational he is not so certain as to it's exact quantifiable benefits----once again---seat of the pants, not data detailed commentary.

3. It sounds like he believes that the increases, including fuel flow, are due to ram air effect, enabled by the forward facing, unimpeded flow design.

4. Robbie is very free with praise for ECI, like everyone I have spoken with who, with firsthand experience, flies behind their stuff. While he builds a few engines himself he also reps for America Aircraft Engines and is quite honest-forward in explaining that he works for them in addition to his day job and LIKES selling their engines based on their competence, experience, thoroughness, etc etc etc

5. I asked about E85 tolerance---that is being looked into--will report later

6. It sounds like the lead times are in the 3-4 month range for the injection system, motor, etc

7. Overall.......I came away thinking this is about as good as it gets for a LYCOCLONE and offers some innovative angles on a design older than most of us builders----make mine an emag-pmag, 9:1, no vacuum system, I'll decide about the prop later and I think I will be happy----as long as I can buy it for a half decent price.

8. Perhaps most importantly Robbie said, "Remember , you are not building the Space Shuttle---you can change stuff later...." Based on some other projects I have been in, the problem of mission creep seems one that inevitably permeates decision making toward the defiance of the KISS principle----maybe if I listen to nothing else that should be the overriding pearl of lasting wisdom from the conversation.

9. The new injection system weighs about 5-7 lbs less than Precision or other clones.

10. Enough.....lest I garner an unwanted nickname.......

CAW

Now before the engineers burn me up-----this was a simple, unannounced phone call---not a planned technical analysis session. I DO NOT have all manner of data to support any of the above.

Last edited: