Chappyd

Well Known Member
Are you happy with your ECI engines? I'm ready to make an engine purchase. I've been shopping around for a couple of months now, and am somewhat overwhelmed by the choices. ECI looks like a good buy for the money IOX-360 can be had with a dual mag set-up for about 20K. I also have a line on a used IO-360 Angle valve engine for about 16K. It would come with a governor and alternator, has about 400 smoh in 1992. The seller guarantees the engine to be good or I can have my money back. It's also a certified engine. The logs look good, even though there's not a lot of time in use smoh. Compressions were at mid 70's all around as of last year's annual. Even if he backs that guarantee up, the potential is there for things not to go right. I'd love to have a 200 hp engine, and this one is tugging at me. A new 200 hp of any flavor is simply beyond my budget, mid 30K and up.

An ECI would still cost me more, but it would be new too.

Opinions, thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm Happy...

I thought this was an important item to buy new. I like knowing the history, the break-in the maintenance etc.. I went with the ECI 180hp which I wanted anyway to keep the lighter weight on the nose gear (you can almost by new 180 for the price of a used 200).

Three years and almost 700hrs later and she still runs like a scalded dog with 0 problems to date. I run her around 55-65% power average most of the time (lean of peak mostly), change the oil at 25 hrs and the oil filter every other oil change (50hrs on the filter). I guess only time will tell but so far I couldn't be happier :D

620 hours on my all-ECI component TMX-360 built by Mattituck, and very, very happy with it - good performance, no worries.

Paul

Ditto here. 126 hrs on my new ECi 0360 and it runs smoothly and produces great power. Another neat thing about this carbed engine is that it runs smoothly LOP---this may be due to the flow characteristics of the ECi Titan cylinders, the Lightspeed Ign on one side, a combo of both, or simply blind luck!!! BTW, it is a stock compression engine.

I don't think you can go wrong with a new ECi and I had great customer support from the builder of the engine---America's Aircraft Engines of Tulsa, Ok. Call and talk with Steve or Richard.

Cheers,

db

ECI is a good value

As others have noted, ECI is a great value with exceptional customer service. I have 300 hours on mine now and it burns less than a quart per 25 hours. It is accurate!!! I've been monitoring closely.

One of the other aspects that I like about ECI, is they are RV people. They have an 8 they use for testing. Additionally, they are supporters of the RV BBQ and LOE.

Gary Bricker

Everyone has told the story about ECI and the support they give EAA and this sight is something to be said about customer service.

nearly 300 hours

and purring like a kitten. Mattituck built IO-360 180hp with all ECI components aside from the Silverhawk fuel servo and the Slicks.

ECI

I am at the same point and I also decided I wanted a new engine that is a known quantity. I ended up deciding to have my engine built localy from the ECI kit, the local A&P has built a number of engines so far from this kit and all the builders I talked to are very happy with the results. He says he is very impressed with the quality of the componants and the matching of the piston weights etc.
I expect to end up with $20k invested in the engine (straight 0-360 A1A, fixed pitch prop) and will have the governor etc if I decide to switch to constant speed prop in the future, closest price (also very highly rated company) was aerosport who also offer a 3 year warranty from first flight. There seem to be a number of very capable companies that build the engines out there all of whom get good reviews on this site so to some extent you pick who you are most comfortable with, in my case I decided to stay local to get support.
One question I do have is whether to go with the roller tappets or not, I got mixed feedback on the value of these for the extra cost involved. Any opinions?

I have the rollers and I don't see any difference between mine and neighbors with std lifters. 75 hrs

If it was me, I'd go with the roller lifters. They may not make a measurable difference in power, but cam wear and lifter spalling should be non-existant.

I don't have a horse in this race, but my buddies ECI 360 ran about 30 seconds after installation when the vacuum pump drive shaft locked up, stripped a tooth and locked-up the engine. I hear warranty was good, but it delayed his first flight by several months. I think he is very satisfied with the motor after 200 hrs.

ECI O360

I have ordered an ECI Titan O360 and can't wait to get it installed and back in the air.

In regards to the vacuum pump shaft issue reported, I won't be using that as I am total electric. If you're not using the vacuum pump, I was told to remove the drive gear to avoid gear chattering or causing some other problem. If the drive in question had a vacuum pump installed, something must not have been aligned properly. :(

Whats a Vacuum pump?

The last one I saw was being carried away by a Dodo...:)

And good riddence.

my TMXIO360 is great...it cost more then my friends new subaru outback but in airplane dollars its a great buy.

Frank

After talking a bit with Jesse at Aero in Missouri ( he sells ECI Kits) And a local engine builder, The ECI is looking pretty good right now. I can get the kit itself for $13,300. Mags are another $1500, Fuel injection is another $2700, starter about $475. 9-1 pistons are about another $150. That's about $18K
for all the stuff. The local engine builder is Pine Mountain in Danbury, CT, relativley close by and has a very good reputation locally, and has been around here building for 20 yrs. He quoted about $2500 to build it and I can get involved with it. The warranty would start when the engine starts, 1st year & unlimited hours is 100% covered, and 2 years after that pro rated to TBO.

I'm glad to hear that so many of you are pleased with ECI. I guess the used engine is off my list. Too many unknowns. Thanks for your experiences!

The last one I saw was being carried away by a Dodo...:)

And good riddence.

my TMXIO360 is great...it cost more then my friends new subaru outback but in airplane dollars its a great buy.

Frank

Vacuum pump pad is a good place to install a THIRD P-Mag, so when the first two fail you have a backup!!!!:):(:confused::D