kevinh

Well Known Member
Hi ya'll,

On the matronics lists I had seen posts a few years ago complaining about flashing nearly closing the fins near the spark plugs. Supposedly ECI (and Lycoming supposedly) had problems with not removing all of the flashing in these openings. All four of my cylinders had some amount of blockage, with #3 & #4 being especially unlucky with even more blocked area.

Well - on my engine (Aerosport/ECI from June 2004) my two rear cylinders always ran about 20 degrees warmer than the front cylinders when in a climb. This was particularly evident when doing a series of loops. After a couple of loops I'd need to lay off for a while to keep the CHTs below 420.

So - I just did the fix various matronics posters had mentioned. I used a set of needle files to carefully remove the remaining flashing from all four cylinders. After making this change, I can report that for similar conditions, all four cylinders are running cooler. The rear cylinders are about 25 degrees cooler in climb. This morning I did a really long series of cuban eights and the CHTs stayed below 420 the whole time. In cruise (leaned) all four cylinders are in the 380 ballpark.

Your mileage may vary...

Kevin, my experience was similar, with about a 35F drop. I did all four cylinders. Some of the vanes were totally block, most were about 60-70% blocked. It was a lot of work, but worth it.

I sent a report to Bart Lalonde and he is forwarding it to ECI. I'm sure Bart would like your feedback too.

Vern Little

Last edited:
Do either of you have pictures of this "flashing" you're talking about removing? I don't recall seeing anything like that on my ECI cylinders, but maybe Bart removed it already.

Thanks,
Rusty

Lycomings too....

This has also been a common Lycoming problem.

The flashing (casting defect?) is visible at the front of the #1 and #3 cylinders, where they are machined flat, and occurs at the casting parting line.

A picture is here...

Cylinder-fin-flash_%28Small%29.jpg

gil in Tucson

Didn't see any on my Mattituck either

Maybe I was looking in the wrong place??

Frank

Yes....

vlittle said:
look down the fins between the spark plugs.

V

Yes... my photo was just to show what the "flashing" actually looks like...

Between the spark plugs is the place to clean... I found a small round jewellers file in a cordless drill worked well.

gil in Tucson