skeptic

I'm New Here
Hello All,

I am considering the purchase of an RV-7, and I am seeking more information regarding the ECI cast cylinder AD (2005-26-10). The airplane I am looking at has an Aero Sport O-360-A1A manufactured in November 2002, with around 450 hours TTSN. The Aero Sport work order lists cylinder P/N's CCS12A1. I have not yet performed a pre-buy inspection of the airplane, so I have not had the cowling off and been able to check the casting and serial numbers of the cylinders, or even to verify that they are in fact ECI parts.

Does anyone know if it is possible that an Aero Sport engine from 2002 might have ECI cast cylinders affected by the AD? Would Aero Sport have a record of specific cylinder casting and serial numbers? I plan to give them a call, but it might have to wait until Monday.

If the cylinders are included in the AD, I wonder what type of exchange credit is provided by ECI these days (if any)?

Thanks.

Hi, I sent you a PM. I have a engine with the AD and can talk to you about what I found out. Just did the required compression check yesterday as a matter of fact. Are they cylinders on the aircraft you are looking at group A or B?
George

Contact Radomir, who posts on this forum and lives in Charlotte.

He had to replace his cylinders because of this AD and knows everything you need to know about it.

The part number doesn't seem correct.

I think the part number of the affected cylinders is AEL65102. You may not have ECi cylinders.

See http://eci.aero/pdf/08-1.pdf for the ECi service bulletin. The AD itself can be downloaded from faa.gov.

Dan

The part number doesn't seem correct.

I think the part number of the affected cylinders is AEL65102. You may not have ECi cylinders.

See http://eci.aero/pdf/08-1.pdf for the ECi service bulletin. The AD itself can be downloaded from faa.gov.

Dan

Yes, the P/N listed on the Aero Sport build sheet is not the ECI number. However, it may be an internal P/N for any compatible cylinder. I have a call into Aero Sport for more info.

Cylinders manufactured in 2002 would be affected by ECI Service Bulletin 08-1. Look for a raised casting number above the exhaust port just below the rocker cover gasket surface. It most likely will be AEL 85099 (alternate is AEL 65099 so look closely as the the "6" and "8" can be confused). From there you need to know the cylinder serial number (stamped on the side of the intake port). By date I think you will find it to be in the "Group A", which requires an initial compression test at 350 hours and then recurring compression tests at 50 hr intervals after that. ECI does not have a replacement program for Group A cylinders as they do not have any manufacturing or metallurgical flaws. (Group B is different and does have an issue).
Grub