Steve

Well Known Member
The Vans vtach cable / transducer won't fit around the oil filter adapter. Do I need Vans 12" cable extension for vacuum pump installations? Do I replace the 90 degree adapter with a straight one?

Anyone else run into this?
Steve

12" cable ext - yes; 90 no

Steve said:
The Vans vtach cable / transducer won't fit around the oil filter adapter. Do I need Vans 12" cable extension for vacuum pump installations? Do I replace the 90 degree adapter with a straight one?

Anyone else run into this?
Steve

Steve, yes you will need the 12" cable extension. That mounts directly to the engine and then directly to the transducer. There is no 90 degree adapter needed in between - unless you want to use a 90 deg adapter to aid in somehow mounting the transducer to give you an additional mounting option, but as far as the attachment to the engine to clear the oil filter - cable, no 90 needed.

-Rob

MAYBE....

N908RV said:
Steve, yes you will need the 12" cable extension. That mounts directly to the engine and then directly to the transducer. There is no 90 degree adapter needed in between - unless you want to use a 90 deg adapter to aid in somehow mounting the transducer to give you an additional mounting option, but as far as the attachment to the engine to clear the oil filter - cable, no 90 needed.

-Rob

MAYBE STEVE is talking about a 90 degree adapter that he has on his oil filter?? :confused:

I was referring to the 90 degree oil filter mount. It stands partially in the way of Vans vtach cable housing and the accessory case. I'll make the rounds of the hangars at OGD later today for further inspiration but right now I'm thinking I'll need the Vans 12" tach cable extension.

putting cylinders on today,
Steve

Yes when using the ECI 90 deg adapter you need the 12" tach drive extension. It allows you to move the tach sensor out off the engine and clear the adapter housing. I simply turned mine 90 deg and used some adel clamps to hold it to the engine mount tube.

Sorry Steve, I had it in my pea sized brain that you were talking about a 90 degree adapter for your tach cable in addition to your 90 deg oil adapter. They are pretty popular little adapters that most folks use behind the panel in certified aircraft with old fashioned tachs... Anyway, that's not what you are asking, I see that now.

And yes, Andy is correct with the 90 degree oil filter adapter you do need the 12" cable extension.

I would stick with the 90 deg oil filter adapter as they are easier for oil changes than the straight ones. I'm not convinced it is that much different in the messiness factor- I still use a big zip lock bag as an oil catch, but it sure is much easier to access and pull out.