jetmech

Well Known Member
Aloha All,
I'm helping a friend install a ECI 340 with horizontal induction with a cold sump(fixed pitch prop) on his 9a. Can anyone tell us what cowlings will fit this setup?
I read the ECI install manual and I see the tree listed a 200HP smooth cowl with the snorkel intake is the recommend one.
Sam James Cowl any thoughts on this guys?
Mahalo
Lee

Aloha All,
I'm helping a friend install a ECI 340 with horizontal induction with a cold sump(fixed pitch prop) on his 9a. Can anyone tell us what cowlings will fit this setup?
I read the ECI install manual and I see the tree listed a 200HP smooth cowl with the snorkel intake is the recommend one.
Sam James Cowl any thoughts on this guys?
Mahalo
Lee

I *replaced* an O-320 with an O-340 on an RV6 with the OLD cowl.

Kept the "320" carb for now and it all fit with basically no mods.
It is "dimensionally consistent" with the O-320's.

Now to go fuel injected or "360 carb" I will need to replace the snout.

But with the new "standard" cowls, I think it will fit just as fine as a Lycoming 320 or 360 counterpart.

I plan to provide more detail on the changeover later but am tied up with another project for now.

I *replaced* an O-320 with an O-340 on an RV6 with the OLD cowl.

Thanks JC this one is going with FI a EFII dual fuel and Ign No carb so the old cowling might fit with a snout added below for a straight ram air intake:eek:
L

I have 5 years flying behind the ECI IO-340 in my 9A. There are a few things you will need to build differently but none of them are a problem and most assuredly are not show stoppers. And none of them involved modifying the cowl. Here is a short list of things to deal with:
  • The forward facing sump does not allow for exhaust cross over so you will have to use the 4 straight pipes or talk with Clint at Vetterman to see if his new trombone exhaust will work for your needs. I have the 4 straight pipes. They were a straight forward bolt up with no mods to the cowl.
  • The Vans stock IO-360 cowl for the RV7A fits without mods.
  • You will also need the Vans snorkel (not to be confused with the snout which is that air inlet on the lower cowl below the prop hub for vertical sump applications). This will require reworking the pilot side baffle entrance to accept the air filter and snorkel but no cowl modification.
  • I had to use a different throttle cable because of routing differences from Vans standard firewall forward cable. I do not recall the exact cable but I ordered it from Aircraft Spruce. It fit like it belonged.

I think that is about it. At least I cannot think of anything else at this time that I dealt with during the build.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: