westwinds

I have done some searching and read thru the Aeroelectric connection but am not finding a definitive answer for my question. How to size the fuse for the Ebuss. I know all of my loads, both continuous(4.89amps) and intermittant(9.1amps). I have decided to use the worst case scenario and assume everything could be on at once for brief periods. Since this is an important fuse and i never want to have any possibility of nuisance blowing, How much oversize should i have in this fuse/wire. 10 amps cuts it real close, 15 amps should be plenty, but i will have to change my wire size as it is 16awg right now. Curious as to how others have approached this fuse/wire sizing. Wish there was a 12 amp fuse! Tony

We're building small aircraft. Fuses and breakers are to protect the wire not necessarily the equipment. That being said, if you're concerned about the load a particular wire will have to carry - increase the wire size. (i.e. if you calculate a the wire to be able to carry 5 amp and 16 AWG will suffice, why not use a 14 AWG wire?) If you were to "upsize" every wire, what would the weight penalty be? 2 lbs? 5 lbs? This might get a little sticky when dealing with 4 AWG wires and larger, but it's simple insurance to make sure the smoke stays in the wire! :eek:

Place witty title here....

When I worked through the elec. schematic (Z-11, modified) on my 7 I came upon the same issue. I upped the wire size slightly and put in a 15A fuse. The EBuss wire run is relatively short and as was stated before, the fuse is to protect the wiring.