RickWoodall

Well Known Member
Ok this is so cool, figured I would share to see if it helps others.
Turn your plane engine/oil heater on from your smart phone! $23 total.

I live in Canada and my plane sits in a large hangar. There is wifi in the building. When it is cold, I drive to the airport, plug in the oil/engine heater. Give it overnight or at least a few hours and good to go. Lately i have been working alot and it seems the nice days are never when I have time, and or no time to go plug in plane.

Here is a great and cheap toy!
A few buddies got one and so today i got mine and it only took 3 minutes to hook it up...and i am not the quickest when it comes to technology.

So this to me is the perfect tool. Anytime I want to fly, from my phone I start the plane warm up. If weather changes or I get busy, turn it back off from my phone. No wasted trips to the airport.

Anyway, i know there are ones that use sim cards etc for $100 or more but for $23, great purchase.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NAX2GVU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Rick,

Thanks for the report on the Wifi smart switch! I currently use a cell phone style switch, but I am days away from getting wireless in my hangar, and am actively looking for a replacement. This looks like it fits the bill, and the price is beyond right!

Thanks for the Pirep!

What is the amperage rating on this? I looked quickly and I couldn't find it. A heater is likely to draw between 10 and 15 amps. (Update: I just asked that question on the Amazon site.)

Last edited:
What is the amperage rating on this? I looked quickly and I couldn't find it. A heater is likely to draw between 10 and 15 amps. (Update: I just asked that question on the Amazon site.)

Amazon site says, "Electrical rating: 120V/15A/60Hz/1800W". So it's good for up to 15A resistive load. But a sump heater doesn't draw near that. Mine has 2 pads at 100W each, for a total draw of under 2A.

Even the hottest system Reiff sells, with 100W on each cylinder (assuming a 6-cyl engine) and 200W on the oil sump, would still draw less than 7A.

Last edited: