N941WR

Legacy Member
The Dynon's I have installed in my RV-9 both require access to a serial connection.

In my case I have two long wires terminated with DB9 connectors zip tied to a bracket riveted to the sub-panel. This works great for an occasional update but zip-tying the wires back in place is a pain.

Had I thought about it when I was building, I would have cut DB-9 sized holes in that bracket before riveting it in place and bolted the DB9?s connectors to that plate.

Since I wasn?t that smart, what I?m thinking about doing now is cutting a hole in the back of my AirGizmo where I can pop rivet a ?box? to the back of it. In the bottom of the box, I can fit those DB9 connectors. With my 496 in place you would never see the plugs and when it is time to do the updates, it is easy enough to pop the GPS out and run an extension to the hidden DB9 connects.

Has anyone else done this? Thoughts?

Hi Bill. I have a DB-9 port on my subpanel, and a rotary switch connecting all of the various instruments in my aircraft that use serial ports.

The rotary switch, formerly an EGT/CHT selector provides several different modes: access to individual instruments and various connection modes for navigation.

For example, my APRS transmitter is connected to this port. I select 'NAV+GPS ACCESS" and the GPS data is provided on the port for the APRS unit. I also wired +12 volt power to the port, and this came in handy for powering the APRS unit.

I also connected my V-Speed ADS external AoA indicator to this port during development, with the mode set to 'NAV+EFIS Monitor'. Another function I provided on the connector was my flap limit switch status for the V-Speed.

I also access my engine monitor this way.

You can download my RV-9A's schematic at www.vx-aviation.com. You'll need to install some free schematic drawing software first. Look for the 'RS-232' Page in the drawing once you've opened it.

Thanks, Vern

Vern,

That is another good idea.

In my case, I don't want to cut into my panel and don't want to see switches or plugs that aren't used when in flight. Thus my desire to hide them.